1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James....Golden Hello question

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon1369, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Hi James I had a quick look on the TDA website but I'm still a bit uncertain, so would appreciate it if you could answer my questions.
    I completed my PGCE in the years 2009/2010 but have only just secured a teaching post which starts in September. Therefore if all goes to plan I will complete my NQT year July 2012.
    Will I stil be eligible for the Golden Hello? Am I correct in thinking that you can only get this as you go into your second year of teaching? My contract is permanant, which I know is extremely lucky! However say I start my second year of teaching and decide to leave part way through, would I have to pay the Golden Hello back or ???
    Hope you can help
    Thanks

2. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

As far as I'm aware, the Golden Hello has been scrapped. I am prepared to be corrected, however.

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

4. From what I was told whether you are eligible for a golden hello depends on the year you did your pgce. So If you started your pgce in sept 2010 or before you are eligible, but if you start it Sept 11 or after, you are not.
    I may also be wrong though!
    x

5. Well, I'm applying for mine at the moment. Just need the Head's signature now, then off to the LA...

6. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

When you have passed Induction you will have up to 12 months to claim the GH and you need to bein a post when they pay the money.
    You get the money to retain you in the State sector but they only require you to do one term to get it.
    You should have the form to hand that your ITT Provider gave you (get another off them if you've lost it) and submit as soon as you start a term of LA paid work in a school after getting Induction. If it's witht he same school where you finished Induction and you are ona contract, you may be able to submit it straight after completing Induction (ask the LA at the time) as you will be past the resignatyion date for leaving the contract and will be tied in until at least the end of December, forming the required term of post Induction work.
    The money will, of course, be subject to tax, NI, student loan repayments etc. Expect about 39% to be deducted if you have a student loan (20% tax, 9% student loan, NI of 9.4% now if you'll be in the pension and 11% if not in the pension ... but that is being increased by 1% soon). I don't know if they levy pension deductions on it. Thay are currently 6.% but the proposed new rate is 9.6%.

7. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

I read somewhere that you come out with 3300 from 5K

8. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

It can't be the same for everyone as not everyone has a student loan and some people have other sources of income and could be Higher Rate (40%) taxpayers.
    Ni varies depending on whether you're in the TPS (lower Contracted-out NI in that case) or not in the pension and therefore paying higher NI.

9. I have just completed my PGCE and received my 'Golden Hello' form on my last day in University. We were told that it would still be honoured for the next 12 months as we started the course in 2010. However, due to the lack of NQT positions in my subject area, the chances of me claiming the £2500 are somewhat remote. We were also told that trying to claim it beyond the 12 months would probably be pointless! To be honest, I'm not hopeful either.

10. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

The next 12 months would take you to the end of your Induction year if you got a post in September and the GH forms are for use in the 12 months AFTER completing Induction.
    I think it's whether you were promised the GH when training that matters, not when you manage to complete Induction.
    It's worth checking with the TDA before the Government disbands it or checking it out with your Union.

11. It says on my GH form that 'Applications must be made WITHIN 12 months of passing your NQT induction year'. If I started in Sept. and submitted my forms at the end of induction (next year), then it is being honoured for the next 12 months. If I take a year out and start induction in Sept 2012, then they probably would not honour it when I finished my induction in 2013. I think that is what the University was trying to say!