1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James: Golden Hello applications

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by DanielJamesScott, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I'm not even sure if this is the right place to put this but I'm literally running out of ideas. I completed my NQT year across 2 schools while on supply - 2 terms at the first school, and 1 at the second. I then got a temporary, 1 year contract at a school so I should be able to apply for my Golden Hello payment.
    When I originally tried to apply the LA did not want to pay it out as I had completed my induction in another authority (or two!) and obviously did not understand the rules with regards to claiming it, so dismissed it as not being their problem.
    Having contacted the TDA they agreed that as this was my first contracted position it was definitely my current employing local authority who should pay it. By that time my school was in the process of becoming an academy. They also said this has caused issues in other LA's as they were not sure about academies, but that as far as they (the TDA) were concerned, it should be paid by my LA. Now the school have done that and are willing to submit it, their payroll is no longer under local authority control and therefore the local authority again disagree that it should go through them, but the final page of the application asks for local authority signatures to access the money.
    I know you only get 12 months to claim it and mine will be up in July, leaving me unable to claim the money that is owed to me. I have jumped through every hoop they have asked and I am feeling very frustrated that I seem to have to be doing all of the legwork to try and make it happen, where no-one else has a clue or wants to help.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Hello,
    I'm not even sure if this is the right place to put this but I'm literally running out of ideas. I completed my NQT year across 2 schools while on supply - 2 terms at the first school, and 1 at the second. I then got a temporary, 1 year contract at a school so I should be able to apply for my Golden Hello payment.
    When I originally tried to apply the LA did not want to pay it out as I had completed my induction in another authority (or two!) and obviously did not understand the rules with regards to claiming it, so dismissed it as not being their problem.
    Having contacted the TDA they agreed that as this was my first contracted position it was definitely my current employing local authority who should pay it. By that time my school was in the process of becoming an academy. They also said this has caused issues in other LA's as they were not sure about academies, but that as far as they (the TDA) were concerned, it should be paid by my LA. Now the school have done that and are willing to submit it, their payroll is no longer under local authority control and therefore the local authority again disagree that it should go through them, but the final page of the application asks for local authority signatures to access the money.
    I know you only get 12 months to claim it and mine will be up in July, leaving me unable to claim the money that is owed to me. I have jumped through every hoop they have asked and I am feeling very frustrated that I seem to have to be doing all of the legwork to try and make it happen, where no-one else has a clue or wants to help.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I'm not James but I operate the Golden Hello for an LA.The system we operatehas been running for the last 5 years and is this;- In the case of a school who does not use the LA payroll then the LA can give the school authorisation to pay. Proof of the payment is sent to the LA who then reclaim the funding from the TDA and then reimburse the school. If you get any further problems contact the LA Officer directly by letter or email and keep a record. Do not rely on telephone conversations.