1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James- First ever NQT teaching interview!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mobile2, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Dear James,
    I hope you are fine. I have my first NQT teaching interview next week and I have been told I have to teach Numeracy for 20 minutes to a Year 4 class. My question is that does that have to be a whole lesson (starter, main and plenary) in 20 minutes? Or shall I plan the whole hour lesson and only teach for 20 mins (have the worksheets ready for the main etc)?
    I look forward to your reply soon,
    Thanks

2. Normally you teach a mini lesson in three parts, but clearly you keep starter and plenary short to have enough time for actual activity. Make sure you print out several copies of your lesson plan to hand out to those watching you, and make your lesson objectives crystal clear. I'd stay clear of worksheets and do something more interesting and interactive, such as pupils standing in line to represent digits and decimal point and acting out how to multiply and divide by 10s and 100s.

3. How about human bar charts or human pie charts?
    I start training in September, so don't know what is expected by Year 4, but an interesting way that I thought of for doing a 'respresenting data' lesson is to pick something obvious to investigate (hair colour, eye colour etc), and then either get them to stand in lines for a bar chart or in a circle for a pie chart with you in the middle with several pieces of string that seperate out the different categories. I don't know if that's a very clear explanation .....Actually if it's only 20 minutes maybe the bar chart would work better!!
    You could have some preprinted faces with different hair colours (with double sided tape on the back), and once they stood in their lines you could give them the appropriate faces/hair and then they could add them a large overall class bar chart. OR if they sat on the floor in their 'bars' you could take a photo and project it onto the whiteboard. Then in small groups they could discuss the results.
    I'm rambling now, so I'll stop! It's just a lesson idea I had when doing a 'developing statistical thinking' (teaching statistics) course. I've never tried it, so maybe it's a bit risky for an interview.....I have no idea why I posted all this nonsense! It's late and I'm tired!! Ignore me and take advice from someone with experience!!! ;0)
    Good luck - I hope you get the job you want!

4. Shape could work quite well - getting the children to make shapes as a class and then individual work they could use pieces of straw on string to make the shapes - you can ask open ended questions like - which shapes can you make with these straws, which shapes could you not make? Explain.
    You'd just have to be careful with behaviour management and that you don't end up with resources everywhere. Elastic bands are also fab for this, but even more of a behaviour management nightmare!!

5. About behaviour management. As they don't know you, even if there are head teachers and others present, some may try to play up (often just to show off). So establish your authority as soon as you walk into the classroom. Don't allow any disruption, now matter how low level, from the word go. Use your teacher persona, voice, look, demeanour. You shouldn't have any problems.