1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James: Feeling pushed by my mentor

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by karensmart, Nov 6, 2011.

1. heya
    thanks for responses... that's interesting to hear your experiences, i guess my sense of it being too much too soon is in relation to my uni colleages, and the pgce student in another dept at school. they are all just starting to take their own lessons and some just doing the odd starter etc. oftenthey are shocked when i tell them about my dept!
    just seems a bit silly to rush into it when such early days... uni set a max of 11 lessons per week but since last week were my first 3 lessons i've ever taught i felt like doing 7 the following week is a bit of a jump...
    x

2. I think that what you are being expected to do is more than reasonable. Perhaps look into getting some support with resources but other than that it is actually much less than I did on my first placement last year. I had four A Level classes a week to contend with as well when I had never studied it myself. It does get easier I promise, in part because you will get much quicker at planning etc. All schools are different but it sounds like your experience will help you in the long run. Good luck!

3. There is always a delicate balance to achieve in making sure that trainees progress and take on a reasonable teaching load, but not at a rate which makes them feel swamped. Often there is guidance in the PGCE handbook to help you see what the course expectations are and you should also talk to your tutor as he/she can help by talking to the mentor and making syure that you are not overloaded too quickly.
    Team teaching needs careful planning and for the 'team' to build a rapport - this is not something that should be undertaken lightly as it can create issues in the class - normally experienced teachers need to be careful when team teaching that they do not overpower the trainee.
    Do talk to your tutor as a matter of urgency.
    James

4. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

It's far better to get it over and done with than waiting and waiting to take a class properly. I used to be a subject mentor and byt he 2nd week they were taking all their classes (this was on a 2 yr PGCE, but 1st year was mainly uni based converting to the subject).
    You don't have to plan alone, speak to the class teachers and get their support, don't re-invent the wheel either, as a trainee you don't have to 'make' all your own resources!

5. Thank you James, your response is what I needed to hear!
    I have some personal issues that mean that the 'shut up and get on with it' approach realy doesn't help but makes things worse. I don't think it's particularly useful either to advise those struggling to just charge at a large teaching load because others have done it - each individual needs to approach it in the way that works best for them.
    I have talked to both my uni and school tutors and we've agreed to take it more slowly. feel much better, thanks