1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James- extra time for PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by RamC, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Dear james. I am in the last week or so of my PGCE. Due to sickness over the year, I am having to do an extra week to make up time. The strike next week will mean most of the teachers in my school are out, including my teacher. Although as a student I don't strike, if my teacher is on strike I feel I should not be covering her class as it means her actions are meaningless. My tutor, however, has 'strongly recommended' I choose to go in and teach- and has also told my school I should not be having PPA or NQT time to get as much teaching in as possible. I'm unsure of the best way to approach this with her. The school mentor is highly supportive and told my tutor she was happy to sign off the standards 2 weeks ago when the other PGCE students had theirs signed, but my tutor insisted it was postponed. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

2. As a student, as you have said, you will not be on strike. I do understand your concern about lessening and undermining the action of the class teacher. One possible way to approach this would be using the fact that tecnically, as an unqualified student who is not an employee of the school, you cshould be supervised by a qualified teacher (legally trainees should not be left alone in classes). That said, I know and support schools where trainees who are experienced and not a cause for concern, are left alone to teach - though I maintain that there should be a qualified teacher within easy reach not in charge of a class of his or her own.
    This way you would not be covering the class and filling in for absent teachers on strike as another teacher who is not on strike would be needed to supervise you.
    There is a minimum number of days that you must be in school in order to gain QTS (120 for a PGCE secondary and 90 for a PGCE primary) so the tutor may simply be ensuring that the statutory number of days is being met.
    James