1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James: Does it get easier?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Simples101, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Good Evening All,

I am an NQT just about to start my third term. I have read the horror stories, happy stories and other stories on the forum and all I want to know it does it (being work/life balance) get any easier?
    I love the job and it is very rewarding but, currently the best part of my life is going into work. Now I love my job but I work to live, not live to work.
    I want to do other things alongside my job, like see my girlfriend, but at the moment due to work every God given hour this is unrealistic to me. I work all weekend and every day in my Holidays. I understand I am required to dedicate some time to the job, but not all the time in the world.
    Am I being realistic or am I asking too much of what is already an awesome job?
    Happy New Year to all.

2. It sounds like you are doing far too much!
    I wouldn't say it never gets easier. You just find ways to manage things, learn how to prioritise better and slowly start to get over the niggling feeling that you should be doing something because the job is never done.
    I no longer do anything at the weekend and rarely do anything school related at home after school or in the holidays. The only exception is during report time or SATs when papers need to be marked. Still absolutely exhausted though!

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

My friends who teach primary say it's much easier after the first year and from then on it's more manageable than the first year. In Secondary, I think it depends on your subject and department. I teach English and October-May is always manic but the first year or two is always harder because you have so much to learn.

4. Pink flipflop you are living the dream. Well done on your work/life balance! I am going to be trying to take a leaf from your book. It's just knowing where to start.

5. I work my butt off in school to have my home time free! In at about 7.15 and don't leave until everything important is done. Only take about 15 minutes at lunch and always use afternoon play for work rather than tea! I make sure I use my TA really effectively when not working with children and my lunchtime helpers are a godsend!
    When I was in my NQT year things were very different. Single form entry, new school with horrendous behavious and children very significantly below the national average. No plans in place and having to work from new framework, letters and sounds and CLJ as they were introduced in our school as I started. I worked lots of evenings and all weekend and had to cancel and say no to lots of days and nights out with my best friend. She was killed during my NQT year and I will never ever get all that time back so it really put things into perspective.
    Me first, work somewhere later down the list. It is just a job, not a lifestyle and nobody will ever thank you for working too many hours.

6. Teaching - at any level is never easy, but it does get more manageable as you gain experience and as you build up resources and enlarge your network of friends and colleagues in teaching. Teamwork and sharing - not always reinventing the wheel is important.
    As a young teacher I was told there were two types of teacher at retirement - a teacher who has taught for 40 years and t5he teacher who has taught one year 40 times. It's bettr to be the former, but a little bit of the latter helps manage the workload.
    James