1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - does final NQT observation have to be within a given time?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by signoradolores, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Dear James
    I started as a part-time NQT last year and passed my first two "terms" before the end of the academic year. I am now fulltime and the end of my induction time should have been around the end of January but nobody has arranged my "final" observation so that I can be signed off by the Head and the Borough.
    I asked the Head of Training and my Mentor but time has slipped by and nothing has been done yet. Now I'm worried that if it doesn't get done within a certain amount of time I could somehow be failed by default. There is no question that I will not pass the the "final" observation - it's just that it's never been arranged.
    Thanks in advance for your reply.

2. Dear James
    I started as a part-time NQT last year and passed my first two "terms" before the end of the academic year. I am now fulltime and the end of my induction time should have been around the end of January but nobody has arranged my "final" observation so that I can be signed off by the Head and the Borough.
    I asked the Head of Training and my Mentor but time has slipped by and nothing has been done yet. Now I'm worried that if it doesn't get done within a certain amount of time I could somehow be failed by default. There is no question that I will not pass the the "final" observation - it's just that it's never been arranged.
    Thanks in advance for your reply.

3. Contact the LA adviser for NQTs and induction and they should be able to rattle the cages of those in the school to get you signed off. Technically the school has a responsibility to deliver the final assessment within 10 days of the end of the assessment period. This is very unfair on you as you should now be completely signed off. Contact your mentor and the head again and state that you are worried that the school is going to get into trouble for not completing your induction properly and contact the LA adviser - they should also have been badgering the school to get the final assessment completed as surely they know when you should have finished.

James

4. Thanks for your speedy reply James - I will follow your advice.