1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, Do many NQTs move schools after the NQT year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by BB2009, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am currently trying to decide whether to apply for positions at other schools as the end of the NQT year is fast approaching! I know I am lucky to have a job at the moment but I feel the school is not the right school for me. I'm not sure if I should try to move on now or if I should wait until I have two years experience in one school. Before I took my PGCE I had moved around the country a lot and so I have many short term jobs on my CV and I am concerend that trying to leave after just one year will make it look as though I can't stay in one job for long! I'm also worried about how I will be treated once I tell the school I would like to leave after one year, especially if I don't find another job. On the other hand I love teaching and would really love the opportunity to work in a different environment to the one I am in now. Any advice or first hand experience would be welcome. Is anyone else having similar thoughts? Thank you.

2. Clearly I'm not James, but... I'd leave now while you're still cheap.Tell the new school in your interview that the school you're at isn't the right one for you for whatever reason. Tell them that you're now looking for the right school to stay at for a long time. That won't reflect badly on you. Don't waste a year in the wrong job just because you are worried how it might look. As far as your school are concerned, I am sure if you are careful and tactful in your wording when you write to the head to explain that you're looking for other jobs, it'll be okay.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have to say I would absolutely NOT recommend doing that! (Also clearly not being James, but having left various schools at various times.)

You do not need to tell a new school why you want to leave, only why you want to join them. On the application form where it says 'reason for leaving' put something about widening experience or some such. Do NOT in any way allude to not liking where you are. Well not if you want to be successful.

Start looking around for other posts, when you find one you like and way to apply for, go and see your HT and ask if they will write you a reference, should you apply. They have no choice but to say yes, however it is polite to ask.

A fair number of people do leave after one year, so it isn't the end of the world. Don't hand in your resignation until you have a permanent post to go to. If you aren't successful and have to stay where you are then do so with good grace, knowing you tried. Your HT won't mind, it happens all the time.

Best of luck.

4. Thank you to both for the replies. Although I put 'dear James' I am very thankful for replies or comments from anyone here. Thank you.

5. OK - I will stand corrected as minnieminx is far more experienced than I am. Thanks minnieminx for potentially saving me from that mistake myself!

6. one day i'll stop posting replies to things I don't know much about... :)

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL Noooo don't do that! Imagine how dead these boards would be if people only posted on topics things they knew about!

Actually I should stop as well...might get more work done that way!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOL Noooo don't do that! Imagine how dead these boards would be if people only posted on topics things they knew about!

Actually I should stop as well...might get more work done that way!

9. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I wasn't particularly planning on moving schools after this year but I found a job that involves a TLR that is tempting me. I told my headteacher today and she was so lovely about it and said that I am a good teacher and I should try and progress my career. However, told my Head of Department and he didn't take it too well at all. In fact, he told me he hopes I don't get it. So now I feel a bit rubbish and like I am letting him down [​IMG]

10. I am hoping to move schools at the end of my NQT year. Jobs this year have been on short supply so I had to pretty much take what was on offer as I could not afford to be unemployed. I did a maternity cover for a term and then got a temporary contract until the end of the year at another school. Like the OP this school has a high turnover of staff and there are several reasons why I feel it is not the school for me. It has been hinted at that I could stay if I wanted to but I have already begun to apply for new jobs elsewhere, looking at permanent contracts at the moment but I will review that if unsuccessful during this first round. I have spoken to the head at my current school as I would like a reference, so they know I am looking. Perhaps I have shot myself in the foot but I cannot stand another year in my current school.

11. Forgot to add that in the current employment environment there will be a lot more teachers who will have moved on as there seem to be a lot more temporary contracts because of budget cuts and schools are unclear about future numbers and council funding, so I think the advice of staying somewhere for 2 years, whilst I can see the logic behind it, for many in some areas this is just not the reality of the job market.

12. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

As someone who has been in the position of recruiting for teachers, I have to say I would always be curious about why someone would leave a school after one year. It can sometimes suggest problems of one sort of another. That said, it wouldn't necessarily stop me employing them - but you would need a good polished answer about why you are moving / what appeals about the new school etc. We appointed someone in just your position last year, who as it turned out had felt very unsupported as an NQT - not that this was what was said at interview! I agree with other posters that if you then move again quickly, this might look less good on your CV, so be sure about where you are going to! Good luck.

13. atwoodfan I get what you are saying but because of the current employment situations, I have had two temporay posts this year to get my NQT year finished so now I am worried that this looks bad because I did not secure a year contract or permenant post. I think there were 2 permenant posts advertises in my local authority last year, and only about 3 or 4 temporay year contracts, the rest were matnernity covers or posts like my present one that came about for two terms from Jan-August.
    Surely school recruiters recognise that in the present job market people have to take what they can get and sometimes this means you aren't always in the right school. I loved my first school but as the maternity leave was coming back I could not stay.
    Also I had to take a job out of my local authority, because of the employment situation, and the travelling is very tiring and when I think of what I could do with the 5 hours plus a week I spend in the car and the £140 a month (and rising) on what I spend on petrol each month. Another reason I am looking for a school nearer to home. Whilst I recognise an employer would be interested in why you are looking for a new school there could be several reasons. Some of mine are personal (travel, nearer to home, preferred LA) and some are professional (behaviour management policies, type of school, whether schools set for lit/numeracy, internal politics, etc...)
    All that said, by being in two schools this year I have understood about the type of school that appeals to me so I am trying to chosse carefully - I just wish there was a lot of choice but with 200+ applicants chasing every posts it isn;t as simple as that at the present time :-(