1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James: Do I need to join the closing GTC?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Thatsmyloaf, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Thatsmyloaf

Thatsmyloaf New commenter

Hi James :)

My QTS came through today with a request I pay £38 as a annual fee to the GT. I was under the impression that the GTC was closing this year so should I pay this fee?
    Rather confused.com

2. Thatsmyloaf

Thatsmyloaf New commenter

Hi James :)

My QTS came through today with a request I pay £38 as a annual fee to the GT. I was under the impression that the GTC was closing this year so should I pay this fee?
    Rather confused.com

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's still a legal requirement if you want to teach in the compulsory State sector.
    The GTC may be disbanded in 2012 but it needs an Act of Parliament first to sanction it.
    If and when it does disappear, it will have to be replaced with another organisation and teachers employed by the LA may then not get the £30 extra pay that is currently paid to help defray membership costs of the GTC.
    There's been too much opposition to the GTC from the majority of teachers who are LA employed, for whom membership is virtually free after claiming tax relief on the fee they pay to the GTC + getting the extra pay.
    Agency teachers have more of a point in objecting as they can only claim tax relief and thus pay alomost £30 per year of their pay for compulsory membership.