1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James: Desperately need some advice....please

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by pange0475, May 5, 2011.

1. <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">Hi
    I gained QTS in July 2008, and have still to complete any of my induction. I have had a permanent job, for the past 7 years, linked to education, of 20 hours per week. (Posts currently covering are PA to boss, Exams Officer, Outdoor Learning Coordinator). I have also managed to keep my CPD up to date.
    Since qualifying, I have worked in my permanent post and done day to day supply and 1:1 tuition to make up my hours/money. I have used up my 16 month short term supply limit, in addition to my one year extension, which expired in February 2011.
    I haven't taught since July 2010, as in August 2010, I was offered 22 hours working in a school office, as an admin assistant, picking up some of the Business Manager's work, also. I needed some money and thought this would give me some great experience, which it has! I have now been told that my contract at this school will come to an end on 31st May 2011, so I am back to working just 20 hours a week in my permanent job. However, as you can see, short term supply is no longer an option.
    I would still love to teach and complete my induction, but am concerned that I haven't taught since last year, and how this will look to any school I apply to. I have already joined a couple of agencies and am currently applying for jobs that are advertised. However, as I am not currently teaching, I don't feel very confident about getting to the interview stage. Since qualifying, I have completed over 60 applications and had 8 interviews, all unsucessful.
    Here is what I am thinking. Any advice on which route to take would be really appreciated.
    <ol>[*]For May and June, try and get work as a TA through the agency. Is this even possible and would it be a bad idea in the long term? Have no idea about what I will do for money in the Summer![*]Ask the school I am in (for the office work) if I can volunteer one day, to get back in the classroom. (or any other school for that matter!)[*]Ask the agency to try and find me long term supply for September, so I can start my induction. Very nervous about this, as it means I would have to give up my permanent job of 20 hours, unless the supply post was part time. Would probably consider full time if they offered me 2 terms work. [*]Look for some completely different work and give up on teaching! I know I am not the only one who hasn't started their induction - it just feels like it! Feeling very disheartened about life at the moment - I'm 36 and still feel like my life has yet to start!</ol>I am tired of the uncertainty of where my life is going and tired of working in so many different jobs and would love to focus all my efforts on teaching - if only I was lucky enough!
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Pange0475
    </td></tr></table>