1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James- desperate!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Lucylu099, Jun 16, 2011.

1. James,

Need some advice about the QTS tests, I have taken my numeracy 9 times now and its making me lose the plot..im due to graduate this month and Im so scared that I wont be done in time. I want this so bad I cant explain..do I have the summer to pass to get full QTS? This is the one thing that is holding me back!!

2. Hi
    Depending on the course that you are following you may be able to complete without meeting the full requirements for QTS (e.g. it is sometimes possible to gain a PGCE and be recommended for QTS separately and at a different point). If you are on a degree course you would need to check if you can graduate without the QTS and for that to be recommnended once you pass the numeracy.
    The current legislation means that you cannot be recommended for QTRS to the GTCE unless and until you have passed all three tests. Currently there is no restriction to you retaking the tests.
    Do talk to your tutor, take along the feedback you get to find out which element(s) are problematic. Perhaps you could get help from a maths student?
    James

3. Thanks for replying james, I am doing a pgce course, my tutor said that I still graduate with everyone else but cannot get a job untill I pass. But if so, will my ceficficate say that I havent got QTS? feel like I would have a beam on me saying that I havent met all the standards when everyone else has! just want my hard work to pay off, I seem to be working soo much harder yet Im not getting that sense of satisfaction. I have a maths tutor from my gcse days, however im on full time teaching practice at the moment so im busy planning etc.

Lucy

4. rachyclaire

rachyclaire New commenter

what about asking someone in the maths department at school for help?

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

There are 2 certificates. Your University issues the PGCE certificate and the GTCE issues the QTS certificate.
    So you simply won't get the QTS certificate until you complete the tests.

6. Hi Lucy
    I've put together same material on my website that will help you.
    www.qtsnumeracytest.co.uk
    David

7. thanks, im tired of trying everything now!