1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - Degree dilema

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by GodOfBiscuits, Feb 21, 2011.

1. GodOfBiscuits

GodOfBiscuits New commenter

Dear James

I'm a maths PGCE, and all is going well, lots of goods and excellents on my observations.

The trouble is my degree is a 3rd in Mechanical Engineering (although still an honours degree and from a decent university). Without blowing my own trumpet too much, i'm cleverer than a 3rd would suggest, i just had my priorities a bit wrong, and didn't put the hours in.

Anyway, when i apply for jobs, should i talk about this in my personal statement?

I can explain how it was 7 years ago, i've matured and developed my work rate and focus since then, and i can explain how i understand the mindset of pupils who are clever but unfocused.

Or is this all just highlighting a weakness? Am i better off avoiding this area altogether and focusing my statement on my more recent good work?

2. Hi
    In general concentrate on what matters which is your excellent progress on the PGCE. It may well be that some schools/heads will reject an application from someone who has a 3rd, but what about your A levels? Were they strong - does it make the 3rd seem like an underachievement? If you are doing a PGCE at M level and doing well in that, this will in part make up for ther 3rd. It is also 7 years ago and you can bring in your work based skills and experience as well. I wouldn't make a big thing about it, but you could use it to your advantage by saying that you have an experience of underachievement and can use this to help children who may be doing the same avoid underachieving themselves.
    James

3. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

I got a 3rd from a university ranked 60th in the table. I put it down in the application form but did not mention it in my personal statement. I got quite a few interviews and was only asked about it once. I got a permanent job and I am currently teaching up to A Level in my subject so I do not think it is a problem.