1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James: dealing with 'clingy' kids

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Michael42, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Both during my pre-PGCE experience and on my first teaching placement of the course, I've found that, once I've been with the same class for a few days, there's usually one child in particular who attaches him/herself to me like a limpet. While the fact that he/she likes me is appreciated, I clearly can't devote all my attention to one pupil. Should I do anything to discourage this, or just ignore it and carry on as before?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I wouldn't actively discourage it, as you are aiming to form good relationships with the children, which pushing them away won't achieve! Equally you don't want to be actively encouraging it either. Make time for him/her but be clear in your expectations (exactly the same as for any other child) and show that everyone else in the class is important too: "I am working with Jimmy at the moment, please go and try by yourself".