1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James- days off sick on PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by RamC, May 15, 2011.

1. Dear James

I am a mature student who also happens to have long term chronic health problems. I'm doing a primary PGCE in Wales and my health has been quite poor, due to the high work load and stress levels. In my first placement I missed 10 days due to a chest infection, and I've just had another day in my final placement off due to conjunctivitis. In all other respects I've done well, getting all top marks and excellent feedback. I'm managing to keep on top of the 80% planning and teaching, but if I haven't done the required amount of days I'll have to retake next year won't I? I've had very stressful and time consuming jobs before (working in early intervention with children with additional needs), and I am passionate about continuing my journey into teaching, whether full or part time. I just don't think I could stand to defer and have to go through this all over again. How many days should I have completed on placement? Thank you for your help. Becca

2. In England, for primary PGCE you need 90 school days. I don't know what the figure is for Wales, but expect it to be similar. Usually a uni builds in a few extra days to account for illness and other unavoidable absences, and they can even take account of teaching experience gained prior to PGCE. It is at the discretion of your training provider. I'd have thought if you are meeting the standards and making expected progress, it will not be an issue but do speak to your uni tutor about it.

3. I know Alec has given you a good response there but just thought I'd say - I had to take time off for spinal surgery in December, and then spent another 2 weeks in hospital because of complications from the surgery.
    I've been able to provide medical records that confirm all of this and that has been enough for my university. I'd speak to them because you may find you're ok and I expect it'll be nice to have something less to worry about!
    Good luck :)

4. Thank you for your replies. I emailed the course director and she said that she will speak to the progress board tomorrow and let me know by the end of the week if I will need to make up days or any other action. She said because they have been aware of my disability they will look at my overall performance and take it all into consideration. She also said she considers me 'fit to teach' if that is the sticking point, so I'm going to stop panicking at the moment and wait for friday to hear the sentence! Thanks again for your replies, they have helped me breathe a little easier :)

5. As stated
    There is a minimum number of days and different universities do normally organise their placements with a few extra days so that the odd day here and there is not an issue. We are able to exercise a small degree of discreation in that if a trainee falls a little bit short on days, but they have managed to meet all the standards with no issues the we do not have to make them do any exgtra days. Do talk to your tutor and they will advise on the situation with respect to your university.
    James