1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James... Could I lose my QTS?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Shuey, May 4, 2010.

1. Hi James,

Wondering if you or anyone else on the forums can help. To cut a very long story short I'm in my final year at University, I gave up a very good job to follow my dream to be a teacher and had a brilliant first three years achieving good grades although I always found placement hard work I loved teaching. In my final fourth year placement I had what I can only describe as a confidence destroying time. I left placement with only a few weeks to go due not being able to sleep and having a bit of a melt down due to the way I was treated which has resulted in me having to defer my placement.

The problem I have is that I am moving to the opposite side of the country and can't do my placement when Uni want me too, they are also refusing to allow me to do it now (before I leave) due to 'academic reasons and the feeling that I couldn't meet the standards required in a final placement' (It has been to student union, committee etc all to no avil.) I have had confirmation from both teachers and Head Teachers that this is not the case however it has made no difference. I am in such a mess and I now feel that I stand to loss everything I have worked so hard for.

Is there anything I can do? If I just take my degree and lose my QTS is there any other way into teaching (bearing in mind I already have three years of QTS standards).

Teaching has been my life for the last six years (as I had to defer when I had my baby) and I can't believe there is nothing more I can do.

2. Hi
    Clearly this is a very difficult time for you. I cannot comment on the reasons given by the uni for not allowing the placement to happen now, but by talking to the student's union you are taking positive action on this. If you are a student member of one of the teaching unions you could also ask for their help and advice.
    Not gaining QTS now would b]not necessarily preclude you from gaining QTS at a later stage. Clearly a move to another part of the country is a good reason why you were unable to gain QTS now and with a degree you could still gain entry to teaching through the GTP route (your advantage here is that you have considerable placment eperience and evidence already - which could be used towards gaining QTS) or through the PGCE route - you have not had a bursary and could therefore possibly qualify for funding to gain QTS through the PGCE. Again, you have a good reason for not gaining QTS and you have evidence which could be used for standards.
    All is not lost and the door is still open.
    James

3. Hi James,

Thank you so much for the positive reply. I have been notified that there is a chance that I could transfer to another HE provider and do my placement with them but I really don't know if this is true as it is being investigated at the moment. I have been advised against the GTP and PGCE as I would have to repeat most of what I have already done and there would be no way of fast tracking because of my previous experience? Do you have any advise or experience of either course?

Heidi

4. Hi
    It is true that doing a PGCE would mean some repetition, but the GTP does not necessarily mean a lot of repetition. One of the things about GTP is that you should be able to have an individualised programme that would allow you to get into the teaching earlier. It would still take a year and the only real fast-track route is for overseas trained teachers. Teach first - which is for graduates may not consider you for their programme but there would be no harm in asking given your special circumstances.
    Transfers to another provider may be possible - it's not automatic and would need negotiation between your current and prospective provider. I do hope that things work out.
    James

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

With GTP it is not simply the case of transfering. It is an employment based route and you need to find a school prepared to employ you as an unqualified teacher and put you through the programme. GTP is in very short supply and there is intense competition for the limited places.

6. Thanks so much both of you. I feel like I'm in a situation without a clear solution at the moment. My graduation should be occuring in July and if I don't take my degree I am in totally limbo and if I can't transfer then I'm at the hold of University deciding when I graduate. I understand I have to find a school to do a GTP and moving to an area I don't know it will be hard. Everything will work out I'm sure I just don't want to close a door that cannot be re-opened by making a decision.

7. You might be able to do a PGCE with the Open University, who can recognise previous experience and let you "skip" early parts of the course if you've already satisfied standards so it could take less than a year and you wouldn't have to repeat too much that you've done. However they only offer certain subjects and only at secondary level, which may not be appropriate for you. Just thought I'd throw it out there in case it helped - sorry if it's not relevant to you!