1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, classroom observation

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by richardbembridge, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Next week I begin one week of classroom observation. I have organised this to help with my forthcoming applications to Initial Teacher Training.

I have never been in a classroom since I left school at 18.

My degree is in Physics, my MSc is in Computer Studies, and I have over 10 years' commercial experience.

I want to get as much as possible out of next week, when I will be sat in a range of secondary classes observing (and possibly joining in) Physics, Science, and ICT.

What do you recommend my objectives might be? How do you think I should prepare for next week?

Many thanks in advance.

Rich.

2. Like you I came into Physics teaching from industry & there was a lot to learn. I would echo the previous poster and add:
    * ask the teacher (if posssible) before hand if there is anything specific he plans to do in the lesson - eg a tricky experiment, managing a difficult group or individual, introducing a new idea or topic.
    * try to see a pupil being reprimanded (you can be shuffling papers at the back of the room).
    * Observe how he manages demonstrations, experiments, equipment and pupils' movement around the lab plus the language he uses.
    * not all lessons are a success - try to identify why the good ones are good & the less good ones are not.
    * always thank the teacher for allowing you to observe the lesson.
    * try to observe some other subjects' lessons if possible
    * check before the lesson if the teacher minds you getting involved.
    Teaching can be a lonely job - you spend most of your time with hormone ridden adolescents who see you as some sort of 'entertainer' and you have to do three or four 'shows' a day.

3. Thanks Sam and hadron. Good advice.

Specifically at you hadron, is there an easy way to see the Physics and Science national curricula on one page? Everything I have found so far has been either a hyperlinked nightmare or so high-level as to offer little insight.

4. Science is not my subject, but here is a link to the KS3 Science national curriculum. Arguably, this document is of limited use. When you get into school ask if you can see a Scheme of Work (SOW) this might give you more insight into what the kiddies are learning and how it's planned medium term.

Enjoy!

http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/uploads/QCA-07-3344-p_Science_KS3_tcm8-413.pdf