1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James...can summer activities in school, pre-PGCE, be used to evidence q standards?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Main83, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Main83

Main83 New commenter

Hi James,

I was just wondering whether you can count activities you undertake pre-PGCE towards your QTS standards? I'm helping out at a school and going on a couple of edu conferences etc. Obviously these things are just valuable experience anyway, but I was wondering whether or not they can be used as evidence - or is it only things from September onwards?

Many thanks

2. Main83

Main83 New commenter

Hi James,

I was just wondering whether you can count activities you undertake pre-PGCE towards your QTS standards? I'm helping out at a school and going on a couple of edu conferences etc. Obviously these things are just valuable experience anyway, but I was wondering whether or not they can be used as evidence - or is it only things from September onwards?

Many thanks

3. It's usually at the discretion of training providers whether to allow experience gained prior to PGCE towards meeting QTS standards. But usually this will only happen if there isn't enough evidence gained during training towards particular standard(s) and pre-PGCE experience is judged to be relevant, esp if circumstances are such that you find it difficult to meet certain standards because of the nature of your placement schools (e.g. EAL support in all-British white schools) or you had to take time out for illness or family emergencies.
    You should try to get all the standards covered by at least three pieces of good evidence gained during training, and add pre-course experience only if you can't or as additional evidence. There is no harm in getting some papers signed by a teacher/head teacher to show you have done certain things and stick it in the back of your standards file, in case you need them.