1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James......Can I negotiate NQT salary??

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by MrBAyres, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Dear James,
    I'm currently on my PGCE year and have a couple of interviews lined up. Prior to my PGCE I have worked for 2 years as a TA and then 5 years as an HLTA where I had sole responsibility of classes up to KS4 and often undertook the role of cover supervisor in addtion to other whole school responsibiliites, mainly centred around SEN issues.
    Do you think I should (assuming I'm offered it) negotiate for M2 rather than M1 as I do believe my previous experience has influenced my teaching ability this year quite heavily?
    However, I do acknowledge that firstly I would be grateful for the job as obviously prospects aren't great at the moment anyway and also it is close to home so I can commute easily.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. Dear James,
    I'm currently on my PGCE year and have a couple of interviews lined up. Prior to my PGCE I have worked for 2 years as a TA and then 5 years as an HLTA where I had sole responsibility of classes up to KS4 and often undertook the role of cover supervisor in addtion to other whole school responsibiliites, mainly centred around SEN issues.
    Do you think I should (assuming I'm offered it) negotiate for M2 rather than M1 as I do believe my previous experience has influenced my teaching ability this year quite heavily?
    However, I do acknowledge that firstly I would be grateful for the job as obviously prospects aren't great at the moment anyway and also it is close to home so I can commute easily.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob

3. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

Hi rarerob,
    I too am currently on my teacher training, and recently managed to secure a permanent post for next year. After accepting the post the headteacher discussed a negotiation of my salary based on previous experience, so I don't see the harm personally but perhaps it depends on the school

4. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I would gauge it based on the school and the interview etc. I negotiated a higher salary to work unqualified prior to my GTP as I'd had a lot of experience in a totally unrelated field, so if I can do it, then I'm sure you'll be able to, given a favourable experience with the school.
    Definitely only do it when you've actually been verbally offered the job.
    Good luck!

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Where the supply of teachers greatly exceeds the demand then opportunities to negotiate will be limited particularly when school budgets are stretched. As Alec says the time to agree this is during interview and before you accept the post. Do be wary of risking a good opportunity however as it is entirely up to the Head and Governing body whether they accept experience outside of teachers pay & conditions for a salary increase. Some schools pay policies now state they only employ induction teachers on M1 regardless of previous experiences.

6. Alec, I was told by several heads when training that we should NEVER ask to negotiate salary after we've been offered the post, and that that it is viewed very negatively. I was told that we should only ever attempt to negotiate before we're offered the post, at the interview stage.

Personally I can see why you'd say that, I wouldn't dare negotiate salary in case it put them off hiring me. But that's what I was told.

7. A couple of us on our PGCE year, with previous teaching or youth work experience, have been offered jobs at M2 or M3. The advice I was given (and that worked) is at the end of the interview questions, politely enquire that if you got the job, would they take into account your previous experience before deciding where to start you on the scale? You would hope with your experience M2 was a minimum, and you might get M3 in a financially secure school/academy. It depends on lots of factors- your competition at interview, whether they see a good enough lesson to justify the extra money, how expensive was the member of staff you might be replacing was etc etc.
    Some school even have written guidelines on where to start teachers: x years equals y point on the scale.
    Good luck!