1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James Can an NQT be left in charge of a school?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by cg82, Dec 8, 2011.

1. You might be the only teacher in school but you've only got your own class. As long as you are not the only adult in school, there shouldn't be a problem. Phone calls or meetings with the head would be scheduled for another day and you should be given head's mobile number in case of emergencies. Enjoy the peace!

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I wouldn't accept that. Things go wrong, and I mean simple things, that are well outside of a class teacher's job. Ours is a health and safety world, and in the case of a more "extreme" event, e.g. heating breaking down, the class teacher is going to be at a loss at what to do.
    I have every expectation that nothing would go wrong. But that isn't the world we live in - the overall responsibility for the school, its staff and students (not just one or the other) lies with management. One of them should really be on hand, especially given the lack of experience of an NQT (A veteran teacher could possibly cope!).

3. Thank you for all your help. It is much appreciated. I will try to speak to the head teacher.