1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - can a secondary trained teacher apply for a primary school post?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by chrissy0007, Jan 12, 2011.

1. I qualified as an art teacher in June 2009, I initially tried searching for a job, got shortlisted for one school - did not get it, so took a year out and volunteered in the educational sector. I am now back to applying for an art teacher's post in earnest. Not many art teaching positions out there, though I am applying for every single one! So was wondering if a secondary school art teacher could apply for a primary post - just to widen my chances of getting into teaching? Or do I need to do a primary PGCE to apply?

2. I qualified as an art teacher in June 2009, I initially tried searching for a job, got shortlisted for one school - did not get it, so took a year out and volunteered in the educational sector. I am now back to applying for an art teacher's post in earnest. Not many art teaching positions out there, though I am applying for every single one! So was wondering if a secondary school art teacher could apply for a primary post - just to widen my chances of getting into teaching? Or do I need to do a primary PGCE to apply?

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

To echo James advice there are a lot of primary NQTs looking for induction posts. One route in would be to gain short term supply work in primary schools to get experience of teaching a wider range of subjects. Year 6 classes are least popular with primary trained teachers and I know a number of secondary colleagues teaching these in primary.