1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James and others: undermining partner teacher, any advice?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by craftyangel, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Hi James and all,
    I'm an NQT working in year 5 in a challenging primary school in Hampshire and I'm just not enjoying my job at all.
    The main issue is my partner year 5 teacher. She is mid-thirties, is single and lives on her own. She seems to fill her life with her job, works all hours and all weekend. I have different priorities to her, I make sure I have time off at lunch, I leave work at 5pm every day and do 3 hours of work on Saturdays and then stop (mainly because my Dad works abroad during the week so I only see him at the weekend).
    Anyway, the main issue is that she is controlling and underminds me a lot. Then she wants me to come up with ideas and make sure it's not all her but I can't for fear of being put down and my ideas rejected again. I feel on edge and nervous around her all the time for fear of what she's going to say or do next.
    I have talked to my mentor who was very supportive and said that as long as I can say that I am doing my fair share of the work I shouldn't worry about it. My partner teacher does do more than me but mainly extra things that she chooses to do.
    I don't feel that I can go to her personally with these things because I am slightly afraid about what she'll say to me. She's very passive-aggresive I've noticed. She also *** a LOT about other colleuges and now I am paranoid that she's talking about me (probably all in my head)
    Has anyone got any advice?
    I'm going to be looking for another job for September, I don't really want to be in this school anymore.

2. Some people work to live, others live to work. In teaching there is a tendency for us all to do 'more' than the contract or minimum, but nobody should feel that they have to live up to the lifestyle and workload of the teacher who lives and breathes work.
    Most schools have a workaholic somewhere (along with a cynic, a minimalist, a realist and a larege number of 'oridinary' teachers) you do not have to conform to their way of working.
    If you are worried about being held up as not doing your bit, make sure that ideas you do contribute are noted down somewhere - if she rejects these, that's not your problem. Try talking to her about non teaching things - just ask what she does on her time off, reading cycling, walking etc etc. Perhaps drop in about the hobbies others have to press home that if she has no hobby then she is the odd one, not you.
    If she is talking about you well, that also says a lot and I suspect those who have known her longer than you will understand what she is about and take what she says with a pinch of salt.
    James