1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James and others, Cross roads

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by anon1021, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I have PGCE primary but am currently working as a FE tutor across a range of schools, Children Centres and Colleges.
    I have recently been persuing going back to primary, and have someone who would assist me in this. However, I have just been approached by a secondary colleague, suggesting I get some experience in secondary school and move into secondary.
    I'm so confused! I really enjoy teaching and I feel like I don't want to say no to anyone who is willing to help me, but I also feel a bit false saying that I really want to teach primary or really want to teach secondary because at the minute, I really don't know what age I want to teach!
    It's easy to say get experience of both, but I also have a family and it would be really tricky to get the experience of both Primary and Secondary before applying for jobs! What shall I do?
    It's wonderful that all of these people want to help me, but they've left me with a massive decision and I feel that this decision lays the foundations for the rest of my career!
    Any help on how to decide would be much appreciated!

2. Hi all,
    I have PGCE primary but am currently working as a FE tutor across a range of schools, Children Centres and Colleges.
    I have recently been persuing going back to primary, and have someone who would assist me in this. However, I have just been approached by a secondary colleague, suggesting I get some experience in secondary school and move into secondary.
    I'm so confused! I really enjoy teaching and I feel like I don't want to say no to anyone who is willing to help me, but I also feel a bit false saying that I really want to teach primary or really want to teach secondary because at the minute, I really don't know what age I want to teach!
    It's easy to say get experience of both, but I also have a family and it would be really tricky to get the experience of both Primary and Secondary before applying for jobs! What shall I do?
    It's wonderful that all of these people want to help me, but they've left me with a massive decision and I feel that this decision lays the foundations for the rest of my career!
    Any help on how to decide would be much appreciated!

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Only you can really decide what age you prefer teaching... you say you were primary trained, but now teach F.E - was there a reason for this quite dramatic jump? Certainly KS5 would be a bit like F.E... but as I said, really depends on what age group you think you enjoy? As a secondary trained, I know I couldn't and wouldn't want to teach primary... Another thing to do is to think about what you would teach at secondary school level and check TES to see how many jobs are available in your field; of course this is only an indication but if there are none or only one, perhaps you are better off applying for primary?

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I think the advice here is sound. It's all very well deciding what you want to teach but, unless you're willing to move to where the work is, it is sensible to take into account the vacancies in your area. Secondary schools would want evidence of sound subject knowledge so if your FE subject is relevant to the secondary curriculum and you have a relevant degree, I'd give Secondary a go because there seems to be too many applicants after too few vacancies. if you're looking to teach a subject where there are few vacancies, maybe primary is worth a go. Unfortunately, because of the shortage of jobs, the longer you are out of mainstream, the harder it is to get back in, so whichever way you go, it's probably best to do it sooner rather than later.