1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James and everyone - time limit between completing PGCE and starting NQT year?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by aspire_teach, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hi all
    Some of you may know I posted here last year about the struggles I had in my old school at te start of my PGCE and that I chose to resign and defer my induction year for a while. I am currently working in another school as a tutor for a number of weeks. However, reading some posts on here about induction rules have plunged me into a bit of doubt. I always planned to start my NQT year again at some point as a proper class teacher, but I'm unsure now about whether there is a time limit or not on me doing other education work. I know there's a time limit on supply, but that's not my position. Is the LEA expecting me to start my induction year ASAP after completing a PGCE? (depending on job availability of course.)

2. Start of the NQT year, I meant!

3. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

There used to be na 'expectation' that NQTs would complete Induction within 5years of STARTING Induction (not a time limit from getting QTS on a PGCEor other ITT route).
    That 'expectation' was abolished in 2007 or 2008 and you can now take as long as you like , or as long as it takes, to complete Induction.
    Did you 'bank' any Induction terms in your first post? If not, it may be thta your 16 month non-Induction allowance was triggered by thta first post of qualified teaching and you are 'wasting' some or all of your allowance by not taking supply teaching work 9not that much is available in some areas).

4. Thanks for your reply. I'm relieved to know there isn't a "time limit" as such, but I'm a bit unclear by the bit in bold. I didn't bank any induction terms, I left before the first assessment. What's this about a 16 month allowance? Is this only for supply work?

5. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Although it's called the 16 month supply limit, it actually applies to any qualified teaching that you do that is not part of Induction. You're limited to 16 months of non-Induction teaching before you either need a supply extension or an Induction post.
    As you were on an Induction programme when employed by your first school, it may be that your LA will not count the time served as triggering your 16 month non-Induction allowance. You would need to contact the LA NQT advisor.
    Had you completed the Induction term, where 'making satisfactory progress' or 'not making satisfactory progress', it would definitely not have started the 16 month allowance counting down and you'd only have needed a two term placement or 2 X 1 term placements to complete Induction elsewhere.

6. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Although it's called the 16 month supply limit, it actually applies to any qualified teaching that you do that is not part of Induction. You're limited to 16 months of non-Induction teaching before you either need a supply extension or an Induction post.
    As you were on an Induction programme when employed by your first school, it may be that your LA will not count the time served as triggering your 16 month non-Induction allowance. You would need to contact the LA NQT advisor.
    Had you completed the Induction term, where 'making satisfactory progress' or 'not making satisfactory progress', it would definitely not have started the 16 month allowance counting down and you'd only have needed a two term placement or 2 X 1 term placements to complete Induction elsewhere.