1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James and anyone who may know - Second term induction placement.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by stuart888, May 21, 2011.

1. I am in my second term of induction. I obtained the placement through a supply agency who offered me a terms work at the school. I initially contacted the school before starting after Easter to check that they would be prepared to provide induction because I had worked over the 16 month supply limit and a 12 month extension. They agreed and the LA has been informed.
    However, last week the school had a clear out of some of the supply staff, for various reasons. I was somewhat concerned that I may be asked to leave, because I am also technically supply. When I asked the HOD if I would still be required until July, because I don't have a contract with the school, he told me he didn't know, but would let me know next week. Obviously this would mean that I would no longer be an NQT on induction but be doing supply, which I don't really want.
    Could anybody offer any advice on what I could do? Thanks.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The contractual arrangements are with the agency so that is on a day to day basis. As far as induction is concerned the minimum assessment period is generally a term but there is the option of an interim assessment which can recognise periods shorter than a term where there are appropriate circumstances. The LA induction coordinator can advise the school further about this.

3. As your contract is with the supply agency it may well be that your notice period is short and the school is not obliged to honour the term committment so you need to talk to the agency about the contract they ahvce with the school i.e. is it a for a term in which case the agency may insist on the school honouring that contract. If you are let go then do contact the LA and ask for their advice on what they can do with assessments and time - though to be honest their options are limited.
    James