1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - and anyone else

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by bex818, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am posting to get some advice. I started my NQT year after Christams. After 4 weeks in post we had OFSTED. The school is now going into SM and I have had three inadequate observations and one satisfactory observation since starting. People keep tell I am doing ok but I barely feel like I am coping. I constantly struggle with my classes' behaviour. Some days are better than others but a lot of the time I feel like they walk all over me. I try to stay calm but end up stressed and shouting which really doesn't help.
    I barely keep up with planning and am behind in my marking. I constantly worry about school and for several weeks now am struggling to make it through the days. I am constantly on the verge of tears and feel really down. After the last staff meeting with the start of what we now need to put into place I am now completely overwhelmed. I just feel really desperate and don't know what to do.
    I am trying to get an appointment to see my GP tomorrow and get myself sorted. I am not going until I have been to see him. I just want your advice as to what my options are really? I do not feel like I can go back at the moment. I can't see me coping any better when I go back and I just feel if I do go back I will completely fall apart.
    What do you think my best option would be? How honest should I be with my head and school? I am reluctant to be too upfront as I don't want my career to be over before it's started. Myself and my husband have moved away from all our family and friends for me to start this job. It was supposed to be my dream job and has just turned into a nightmare. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hi,
    I am posting to get some advice. I started my NQT year after Christams. After 4 weeks in post we had OFSTED. The school is now going into SM and I have had three inadequate observations and one satisfactory observation since starting. People keep tell I am doing ok but I barely feel like I am coping. I constantly struggle with my classes' behaviour. Some days are better than others but a lot of the time I feel like they walk all over me. I try to stay calm but end up stressed and shouting which really doesn't help.
    I barely keep up with planning and am behind in my marking. I constantly worry about school and for several weeks now am struggling to make it through the days. I am constantly on the verge of tears and feel really down. After the last staff meeting with the start of what we now need to put into place I am now completely overwhelmed. I just feel really desperate and don't know what to do.
    I am trying to get an appointment to see my GP tomorrow and get myself sorted. I am not going until I have been to see him. I just want your advice as to what my options are really? I do not feel like I can go back at the moment. I can't see me coping any better when I go back and I just feel if I do go back I will completely fall apart.
    What do you think my best option would be? How honest should I be with my head and school? I am reluctant to be too upfront as I don't want my career to be over before it's started. Myself and my husband have moved away from all our family and friends for me to start this job. It was supposed to be my dream job and has just turned into a nightmare. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. Any schoiol that goes into SM will place immense stress on all staff and particularly NQTs who, after all and new to the teaching world and what it can deal you.
    If a school goies into SM then the school and the LA have a duty of care to all staff and in particular the NQTs - after all if teh school was in speciual measures when you ap[plied they would nopt be allowed to employ you unless they could demonstrate that you would be fully supported and provided with opportuinities to meet the standards. Nowe the LA mustr ensure that the support and opportuinities are there for you.
    You will probably find that a number of staff will re-evalkuate their position and think about leaving (very common once a school goes into SM) and you may also wish to look for another post anbd a move during induction is fine and other schools would understand your move given that schools on SM cannot employ NQTs unless they were already in post.
    Your health is no.1 so do see the GP and act on their advice. Do talk through hopw the school will support you now they are on SM and indicate that you are aware that the LA should have in place measures (extra) to asupport any NQTs.
    James