1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James and anyone else...

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon261, Jan 4, 2011.

1. I qualified as a teacher in 2006 and have never really got into teaching. Spent a year doing PPA and supply and have worked for 18 months training for an LA but haven't started my NQT year. I've had 2 children since qualifying and my 2nd is only 6 months. I was planning on trying to get my NQTstarted in Sept 2011 but i've just registered as a private tutor and all seems to be going well. I'm quite happy to continue to do this until either our financies tell me otherwise or my baby starts school at age 4 - however, I don't want to completely do myself out of teaching - I definately want to get back into it at some point.
    I know this will benefit me and my CV but i'm not sure how long I could realistically continue to do this. What are your thoughts, bearning in mind that this year will be 5 years out of the classroom?

Many Thanks to all
    G24

2. I qualified as a teacher in 2006 and have never really got into teaching. Spent a year doing PPA and supply and have worked for 18 months training for an LA but haven't started my NQT year. I've had 2 children since qualifying and my 2nd is only 6 months. I was planning on trying to get my NQTstarted in Sept 2011 but i've just registered as a private tutor and all seems to be going well. I'm quite happy to continue to do this until either our financies tell me otherwise or my baby starts school at age 4 - however, I don't want to completely do myself out of teaching - I definately want to get back into it at some point.
    I know this will benefit me and my CV but i'm not sure how long I could realistically continue to do this. What are your thoughts, bearning in mind that this year will be 5 years out of the classroom?

Many Thanks to all
    G24

3. A lot will depend on the supply and demand in your subject and how well you've kept up with current developments in your subject area. If you're a trained maths, physics or chemistry teacher then you'll probably have no problems, PE teacher may be more of an issue! The private tutoring will help, especially if it's for GCSE students as you'll stay up to date with the current syllabus for your subject. If you have a subject association eg, ASE then they're a useful starting point for keeping up to date.

4. I'm maths but primary trained. However, i'll be tutoring both primary and GCSE students and would consider going into secondary maths in the future.
    Good idea reg associations - will look into it! Thanks

5. Hi
    It does in part depend on your age range and subject. The TDA did run 'return to teaching' courses but as they are going and things are moving back to the DfE it's impossible to say if such courses will be available in the future. Certainly tutoring keeps you up to date on the specifications and curriculum material, at present there is no limitation on starting or completing induction so that isn't an issue, but again we cannot rule out changes by the current government.
    Getting back to the classroom by supply teaching is a way of staying in touch nut supply work varies and is gettinmg harder to come by as more schools employ cover supervisors. But again, work as a cover supervisor folowed by a teaching post on induction could be another way back in.
    James