1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James (and anyone else) - lesson planning

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by penguindecay, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Dear James and anyone else who can help

I'm halfway through my PGCE secondary science, and one of the things I'm having trouble with is lesson planning. I've been staying up nights in a row trying to plan decent lessons and making my own resources.

The way I've been doing it so far is:

lesson objectives & outcomes
    How to assess these
    think of starter, main, plenary
    write lesson plan
    Make resources

So far I'm spending too much time on thinking up activities, writing up the lesson plan and making my own resources. This led to problems with pace and boring lessons.

My placement is a great place, so there is a bank of resources there I can use, but I'm desperate for help in writing up lesson plans. Can I ask what thoughts or 'tick boxes' you go through when planning a lesson? What things must I always do/include?

Thanks,

penguindecay

2. Dear James and anyone else who can help

I'm halfway through my PGCE secondary science, and one of the things I'm having trouble with is lesson planning. I've been staying up nights in a row trying to plan decent lessons and making my own resources.

The way I've been doing it so far is:

lesson objectives & outcomes
    How to assess these
    think of starter, main, plenary
    write lesson plan
    Make resources

So far I'm spending too much time on thinking up activities, writing up the lesson plan and making my own resources. This led to problems with pace and boring lessons.

My placement is a great place, so there is a bank of resources there I can use, but I'm desperate for help in writing up lesson plans. Can I ask what thoughts or 'tick boxes' you go through when planning a lesson? What things must I always do/include?

Thanks,

penguindecay

3. Hi,
    You sound just like me!
    Okay, first of all, don't try and reinvent the wheel. There are loads of resources that you can find either online or, as you say, at your placement. So use them and adapt them to fit your needs.
    Why don't you try thinking about what you actually want the children to learn and work from there?
    Once you hvae done that, draft a basic idea eg starter and main and plenary, then fill it out out once you have the basics.
    Hope this helps!
    J

4. Thanks James, hopefully everything will get easier as time goes on