1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James (and anyone else) - Health Checks!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by gossipgirl329, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if the medical form you have to fill in before starting a course asks if you have claimed any benefits? I have a medical condition, but it is now stable and my doctor fully agrees I am now fit to do the course. I am however worried that I will have to declare I have been claiming benefits and that this will count against me. Any advice on this, and what the form actually asks, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

The form I filled in asked about height and weight, any ongoing conditions and hospital stays. With your form just make sure you get it in early as they will probably contact your dr to check that they agree you are okay and you don't want to waste time.

On my form I stupidly got kilos and pounds mixed up and made myself out to be about 50 stone!!! Can't tell you how embarrassing it was phoning the admissions office to tell them the mistake I had made.

3. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

The medical form is just to confirm that you are fit to work as a teacher, and to identify any additional support you might need. I don't see how whether you have received benefits would have any relevance to this.
    The most important thing is to be completely honest.

4. Don't worry.
    The medical form is between you and occupational health and not the tutors. All they need to know is that you are fit to teach and if there are any questions is will be between the OH doctor/nurse and your GP, with your consent. TRhe uni tutors would only be included if there was a need to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that you were fully supported.
    James