1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - An SEN school as first teaching post

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by littlemissraw, Jan 6, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

There is never any harm in applying, you don't have to decide now. x

2. I know this thread is over a month old, but I wanted to reply anyway.

Moving between a special needs school and a mainstream primary is extremely difficult in terms of learning strategies, standards, paperwork and also support. If you are only applying for SEN as a career stage and do not imagine yourself staying in it long term I would strongly suggest not to apply. The role of a teacher in SEN is completely different to mainstream schools and the responsibilities vastly different.

SEN requires a certain level of commitment and dedication to the child's progression that remains firm through the biting and the hair pulling and the intimate care routines. As a teacher, yes you need basic knowledge of the SEN process, but the SENCO mainly deals with much of the legwork. Plus, if you have read any of the latest gvt strategies it seems that statementing and external funding for SEN will very soon be a thing of the past.

If it is a genuine interest or passion of yours, then of course, do apply, but it is unlikely that without extensive SEN experience you would be successful in gaining an NQT post within SEN.

Good luck in any job you decide to go for.