1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - amount of NQT time

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon413, Apr 14, 2011.

1. This might sound a really silly question but how much does NQT equate to? I know it is 10%. I get 2 hours PPA and half an hour on a different day. I am getting 2 hours NQT - should I be getting 2 1/2 hours? Never really thought about it until saw it mentioned on another post.

2. I get a full day and teach an 80% timetable. This is probably slightly more than I should get as it is 10% of the full teachers timetable (e.g. 2.5 hours) and then another 10% of what is left (2.2 hours). I get 5.5 hours but this evens out when NQT/PPA is used for PPMs or if I do a duty for someone else on those days or if I miss NQT time (for example the royal wedding week). It is probably just easier for the school to work it out this way and my previous school did the same. I am lucky too that I get it all in one daily block so I can visit other schools and make good use of it.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

To be honest, if you are missing out on just under a half hour here and there, you will need to weigh up carefully the fall out from making a big fuss. If you never have to do cover or lose NQT time, even when on courses on a different day, then you aren't doing too badly. Making a fuss will not win you brownie points.

If you were missing out on a good hour or more every week and lost NQT time after attending courses on different days, then I'd suggest making a fuss, but from what you posted that isn't the case.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I get no PPA and 1.5 hrs a week NQT time lol.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

YOU should definitely make a fuss cally1980! that is just not on at all. you are entitled to NQT time and the school is legally obliged to provide it.

If you work full time 1.5 hours of PPA is not anything like the legal requirement either.

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

The 1.5 hrs is NQT time - I get from 1.30-3 one afternoon per week as I have to register and dismiss my class and have staff meeting directly after. PPA has been cancelled for all staff and we are being financially remunerated for our time (though there was no choice in the matter and it was not something which we were informed about when accepting the position!) though to be honest, before it was cancelled we only got the 1.5 hours and this time was often directed so at least we now get some money I suppose! It is an academy and despite being a full time and permanant member of staff I have no contract but ive been told that they have taken the appropriate legal advice. The NQT adviser at the LA was surprised to hear about it and contacted the school direct but I dont know the details and nothing changed so it must be above board!

7. Thanks for your replies. Not worth kicking up a fuss about; was just curious

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

This is how it works:
    Example: 25 available teaching hours per week

10% PPA time will reduce contact time to 90% or 22.5 hours.
    A further 10% from this 22.5 will be NQT time.
    Most schools will round the figure up, depending on how long each teaching session is. So it should equate to around 20 hours of teaching per week.
    This is NOT negotiable (on the school's part) and is a legal entitlement for all NQTs, as is 10% for all teaching staff.
    If you are not getting PPA and NQT time routinely (bearing in mind that it needn't be given in regular blocks i.e. a primary school might give you a full day once a fortnight, rather than a few hours each week) then you need to raise the issue and contact your union if necessary. Otherwise, if you are deemed to be failing to meet standards, the school wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

9. I understand your position and it is really unfair of a school to do this to you when they know it is illegal. What should happen is that the LA should audit the schools to make sure that NQTs are provided with the time and do it in suchg a way that the schools cannot come back at the NQT and make life difficult. It is worth noting that should the school wish to try and 'fail' someone then this lack of time would be an excellent gorund for an appeal.
    James