1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, advice please

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by jessed, Feb 6, 2011.

1. jessed

jessed New commenter

Hi James,

I have a question for you and I am wondering if you can help. My boyfriend currently works in a school in Reading and has been in the position since June 2010 and started his NQT September 2010. He has just got a job in London and the school have asked him to start in June. My questions are; is he able to transfer his NQT year? If so, how does this work?

Thanks.

2. jessed

jessed New commenter

Hi James,

I have a question for you and I am wondering if you can help. My boyfriend currently works in a school in Reading and has been in the position since June 2010 and started his NQT September 2010. He has just got a job in London and the school have asked him to start in June. My questions are; is he able to transfer his NQT year? If so, how does this work?

Thanks.

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

James will give a more specific answer as to the logistics of moving school mid-term.

However, it IS possible to move schools within your NQT year. You boyfriend will have to be very organised and will need to pester the correct people to ensure that all paperwork, observations etc are completed and passed on to the new LA and school (schools's a notoriously rubbish at passing on the paperwork and if things aren't in place when your boyfriend starts work, then he could end up missing out. Since induction cannot be back dated, he could be faced with starting his final term against from scratch if paperwork isn't transfered appropriately.)
    I have a couple of potential problems to point out:
    1) I'm not sure if you can transfer schools mid-term and have your induction count. I think (only think) that you can only transfer full terms, and therefore your boyfriend may have to begin his final term again if he doesn't complete it before moving. Not sure though. James will confirm maybe.
    2) I'd imagine that the old school would be quite reluctant to let him leave in the middle of the last half-term of the year. It will be next to impossible to appoint someone new to take over in June (since new NQTs won't be technically qualified yet, and anyone already in post will need to give notice before the May deadline and cannot leave their post until September to take up the new one). Therefore, they might be a bit difficult about when he can leave.
    Just a few things to think about and get checked.
    Good luck
    Eva :)

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Apologies for the perculiar typos. Fingers are away with themselves today.

5. Hi
    Changing jobs in June is very unusual if he is on any form of standard contract. He needs to carefully check his contract of employment to see if he can leave a post and start a new one in June. That said it is unusual for a school to request a June start from someone already in a teaching post as they also will be aware of standard resignation dates.
    Normally, a post would require that a resignation is provided by the end of May for a September start in a new school. That said, if he has been employed in the school via an agency contract then his conditions for the notice period may be different and he may only have to give one month's notice.
    On to specifics about induction. A move to a new post while on induction is possible. If the move happens at the end of any induction period (normally a term) then all the records are moved to the new post (that would include a move of records from one LA to a new LA. He does need to carefully check that this is done by trhe school and the LA to avoid problems in the new post. By law the school and LA must keep records on induction and must provide those records to the new school/LA.
    Moving in the middle of an induction term will probably extend probation since the minimum time for induction and assessment is 1 term. So leaving at the end of May (effectively 1/2 term) will not allow for the final third term assessment to be completed and the new school/LA will require a full term for that assessment to take place. In effect he will extend probation by 1/2 a term
    He could try to argue for a reduction in the induction period by the LA - they can do this by up to 29 days in exceptional circumstances - but whether the current LA would consider leaving early as exceptional only they can say - my feeling is that unless the new school/LA refuses point blank to wait until September for him to start and withdraw the job offer - meaning he could not complete induction or that there is a very compelling personal/health reason for such a change they will not grant exceptional circumstances.
    So his priority is to check his contract of employment to see if he is in fact able to leave in may and start a new post in June
    If he can, and wishes to do so, he should then contact the current LA and check if they would consider exceptional circumstances
    In addition check with the new LA about the final term - if he started in June then the final term would run from that point to, in effect the October half term - the LA wilkl calculate the actual date of completion etc. The school should then be aware of the different start and finish date so that the meetings, observations and final assessment all tie in with this.
    James

6. jessed

jessed New commenter

Thank you for your help.