1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - advice please induction time

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Geordie_Pride, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Hi james,
    I am only temporary at my present school on a contract, when it comes to an end in the summer, I will have around 30 days left of my NQT induction to do. I have used all my extension cover, and the local authority NQT person, treats you like a common criminal because you want to extend your time, and really scrutinises the dates etc. Because of the way she acted last time I am now convinced that she wont extend anymore, infact she said this more or less in her confirmation letter.
    What do I do? I am really worried, I dont want to exit teaching because of 30 days induction deficit. I really hate this induction rule and dont feel its all fair.
    Please give me your advice

2. Hi james,
    I am only temporary at my present school on a contract, when it comes to an end in the summer, I will have around 30 days left of my NQT induction to do. I have used all my extension cover, and the local authority NQT person, treats you like a common criminal because you want to extend your time, and really scrutinises the dates etc. Because of the way she acted last time I am now convinced that she wont extend anymore, infact she said this more or less in her confirmation letter.
    What do I do? I am really worried, I dont want to exit teaching because of 30 days induction deficit. I really hate this induction rule and dont feel its all fair.
    Please give me your advice

3. Hi
    If the LA has granted an extension then they do not necessaril;y have to grant another one. Have you calculated the number of days using the TDA calculator?
    An LA can reduce induction time by up to 29 days in exceptional circulstances (and your end of contract would be considered as exceptional. BUT and here is the issue, if it is 30 days or more they cannot reduce induction. Ideally, if the current school could employ you during the following September then the induction could be completed, but there are financial issues here about continuity of employment and the length of contract.
    So
    1. Look agaion at the nuymber of daus on contract and on induction and if it is 29 days or less that you are lacking ask the LA to consider exceptional circumstances to get the induction time reduced so that you can complete.
    2. Talk to the school about the possibility of an extension of your contract to cover the kissing time.
    3. Contact your union to ask for their jhelkp and advice when dealing with the LA so that they can lobby on your behalf.
    This is very difficult and the actual number of days is critical in this instance. The LA should be helping you not hindering you, after all, if you move to another school/LA it may well mean an extra term on induction - if I were in the LA I would be looking for anyway I could to help you meet the time requirement.
    James

4. Thanks very much James, will bear this in mind