1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, advice on teaching abroad after pgce

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by LouiseThomas10, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Dear James,
    I just wanted to ask for some advice on working abroad after my pgce. I am currently about to start my second placement on a pgce dance course at brighton and really enjoying it, I know teaching is definitely what I want to do as a career. But I have gone straight from school, to university, to pgce without ever having a gap and I'm worried that leaping head on into a full time teaching post in the UK is going to be an overload for me, especially hearing how hard the NQT year is. I really want to experience teaching abroad and so wanted to ask...
    Can you teach abroad (eg. english/dance/drama) in some schools without having done your NQT year first in the UK? (I've looked at international jobs on TES but many don't specificy whether you need to have done your NQT)
    And
    Is it likely that taking a year out to teach abroad will affect my job prospects in the UK? (I don't want to 'miss the boat' or be seen as someone not committed to the profession.)
    Would it be better to do my NQT year first?
    Thank you!

2. I think it's always better to complete your induction before doing something else, like teaching abroad. At least everything is fresh in your mind, NQT year builds on your ITT and core standards you have to meet are a logiocal extension of your QTS standards.
    There is nothing to stop you going abroad, and any overseas teaching you do doesn't count towards your 16-month supply limit. But other than in a few limited circumstances, you cannot do your statutory induction abroad.
    As for your employability on your return, it shouldn't be affected but remember you will be chasing jobs with others fresh out of uni with most up-to-date training and experience (teaching changes a lot, esp with a new government brininging in new initiatives and emphases). Nobody knows what the job market will be like a few years down the line - funded places for dance have been cut this year, which may indicate less demand in the future. With the government putting emphasis on core academic subjects, it will get tough for those teaching peripheral subjects.

3. Hi
    We recently held a jobseeking webchat on the TES New Teachers website and we had a few queries about teaching overseas. Here are the answers from our careers expert John Howson which you might find useful
    Teaching overseas
    Good luck
    Gail

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You may find that many overseas opportunities require experience and the advantage of doing induction first is that you could then return to the UK in the future looking for a straight teaching job not an induction post.
    The most direct route to overseas teaching of English is still to gain TEFL qualifications

5. Not much to add really, just to support the fcat that many jobs require some experience to completing induction is a good idea (also if you have not done induction,. on your return you would be required to complete it). Also TEFL is still the dominant route to overseas teaching - though British schools are always on the lookout. If you have a choice I would complete induction then think about teaching abroad.
    James