1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James...advice needed about Jury Service

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mushypeas196, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Secondly - If I cannot be excused, I don't know when to defer it to. I don't really want to do it during my NQT year, I'm guessing that wouldn't do my job prospects any good? Summer holidays are tricky, I am waiting for a date to have my tonsils out and don't want it to clash with jury service and miss having it done because I can't defer it again (plus I was just hoping to have some rest between this stressful PGCE year and NQT year which people have told me will be even worse!) Plus was hoping to do some GCSE marking etc, so it;s just bad timing all round!

Don't want to sound whiny, was just hoping you might be able to shed some light on the matter? Although willing to do my civic duty and all that, it is massively inconvienient to try and schedule two weeks off in the next 12 months.
    Many thanks

2. Hi
    I've not come across a student being called for jury servic so that's a new one on me. If it happens during the NQT year and it takes longer than expected or you have illnbess combined with the time off that exceeds 29 days then it could mean extending the NQT year. Summer holidays would proably cause the fewest problems, but holidays are precious for teachers due to the very high workload and stress of the job - you need six weeks to recover the year.
    Can't really help much on this one I'm afraid.
    James

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Don't bother rinigng them, write (using the form they probably have supplied) explaining that you are on a 1 year training course with set dates that require a minimum period in school. State that you will not pass the course unless the required number of days are completed.

4. Thanks for the replies.

I rang them as soon as I got the letter but the person I spoke to seemed convinced I could do it during the summer holidays. I will write and tell them all I know and hope a more sympathetic person receives the letter. Even if I did it in the summer I'm terrified the case could go on for longer than expected and I miss the start of new job and NQT year!

5. Summer holidays? I wouldn't give my time off up for anything. It seems wrong that they're expecting you to give up your holidays for this.

If you could schedule it for... well, what about the last two weeks of autumn/winter term? Or some time when you think the teaching workload might be lighter and easier.

6. Also when you're on jury service, sometimes you don't go on at all. You just sit and wait all day, then go home. That was the case with people I know, anyway.

Wonder if you could take some work with you just in case, if you do it in your NQT year?

7. I had the same problem when doing my undergraduate degree and struggled to get deffered from Jury Service due to my faculty being rather reluctant to write me out of jury service. If I were you I would get in contact with student advice at your uni, I did this and they wrote a letter on my behalf to excuse me from Jury Service as my department had been very unhelpful. I recieved a letter back saying that I had been excused, so it's worth a try :)