1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - Acceptance letters

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lwst, May 21, 2010.

1. Dear James,

I have received an offer of employment and would like to accept the post but I dont really know what to do. I know I have to write an acceptance letter but I am a bit nervous about taking a job without seeing the whole contract (but thats seems normal for the teaching industry) and there is one bit in the offer letter that I am a bit confused about. It says
    You will be expected to work at all times as are reasonably necessary (including school holidays) in the opinion of the Head for proper performance of your duties. Subject to this, you will be entitled to the school holidays but will be expected as a minimum to work the day before and after the Autumn, Spring and Summer terms.

Is this normal or would you expect to see a minimum number of days holiday I would be entitled to? It seems like a lovely school and I doubt that it would be an issue but should I question it?
    Also are there any other tips for my letter.
    Thank you

2. Dear James,

I have received an offer of employment and would like to accept the post but I dont really know what to do. I know I have to write an acceptance letter but I am a bit nervous about taking a job without seeing the whole contract (but thats seems normal for the teaching industry) and there is one bit in the offer letter that I am a bit confused about. It says
    You will be expected to work at all times as are reasonably necessary (including school holidays) in the opinion of the Head for proper performance of your duties. Subject to this, you will be entitled to the school holidays but will be expected as a minimum to work the day before and after the Autumn, Spring and Summer terms.

Is this normal or would you expect to see a minimum number of days holiday I would be entitled to? It seems like a lovely school and I doubt that it would be an issue but should I question it?
    Also are there any other tips for my letter.
    Thank you

3. I based my acceptance letter around the general outline on the site below, although I didn't specifically state the salary instead saying I accepted the terms and conditions outlined in the offer letter
    http://jobsearch.about.com/od/morejobletters/a/jobacceptletter.htm
    My job did send me a draft contract to look at and it did say I may be expected to work some weekends and hoilday days. I think it's fairly standard and just means they need us there for teacher days, school trips, open days etc

4. Thank you for your help. The whole job process is just very strange in the teaching industry and my uni has been useless with offering helpful advice about jobs.

I am sure it will all be fine but if anyone else has advice it would be greatly appreciated.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Teaching appointments are usually made in line with the School Teachers Pay & Conditions- a National negotiation . Hours and conditions are heavily legislated and you can see these on the Teachernet website. Alternatively the Unions all produce free advice for student members.The offer letter from the school should state the salary point paid and that the contract is in line with the National agreements.
    Academies and independent schools are different and have their own pay & conditions.