1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Headtachers - Why I left teaching - Tips and Advice

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by claire20000, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Curly Girly
    If my posts are designed to provoke, then you have certainly been provoked given your number of replies. I bet you feel awful being used. HAHAHA.
    To the serious posters - thanks for the insightful feedback. x

2. Reply to BexL:
    BexL you said:
    Also, people are peculiar. Simple. Put a group of people together, from different backgrounds, philosophies, beliefs and values, and there will be conflict. Not very much a Head can do about that.
    On that logic, it would be the same in business then. But it is not - not in any companies I have worked in. People are more profesional. People have argued, but they move on. In schools the staff hold grudges - unprofessional child like behaviour.
    I am glad you are happy in it. If not for people like you, then we would have no teachers. So I don't want everyone to be like me. Not at all. But I think becasue you guys all defend the salary as in ""we knew it would be low" is why you will never get a decent salary in the job. No one is willing to fight for it. One day of strikes does nothing. The Tube guys have strikes and get like 50k a year now. Teachers are just as important. If all teachers striked for a long while, then something would be done. But while you accept that low salary and defend it, they will just use you and pay you as little as possibe saying to you "oh, you can't complain because you never joined teaching for the money, did you?" Like as if by wanting decent pay there is somthing wrong with that an "un-teacher-like". So it gets you to shut up about pay because you don't want to seem anti-teacher. They are using you. I never put up with it.
    But as I said, luckily some people like the job of being stuck in a stuffy classroom all day rather than a stuffy office. x

3. Dear TomRattle:
    I DON'T have a 1st in Mathematics from Oxbridge!
    Clearly you don't even have a 3rd in English - you can't read! [​IMG]

4. Reply To TheoGriff
    Yea, I'm from India - English is my 3rd language. Opps, sorry for the spelling mistakes
    F*ool ! My name is CLAIRE! [​IMG]

5. *********FINAL POSTING***********
    Thank you everyone for all your replies. The topic is going a bit off course now into general conversation so that signals that there really is not much more to be said on this issue.
    There are some people, for example, TheoGriff, who because they get wound up and make scarcastic points about certificates and what not, demonstrate clearly what I was speaking about in my original post. They think they are being funny, but all they reveal themselves to be is jealous and attempting to deflect to not show it. It is embarrassing for them. I guess I'm a pretty good psyhologist too then eh. :)
    Remember, if someone doesn't "care" then they don't say anything as it means nothing to them in their lives. They only respond if they do care and they respond with scarcasm if they don't have the intelligence to form a reasoned arguement.
    Two points people:
    1. He doesn't have that string of qualifications - he just made them up. He certainly doesn't have a PhD.
    2. If he does have a PhD, then watch him instantly react and go to a lot of trouble to "prove" to us he does. It smacks of insecurity
    3. The reason he is insecure - is because if he really does have those qualifications - then he "knows inside himself" they don't match a Masters Degree in Mathematics! They don't match what I have. And never will.
    For example, if I left teaching and didn't still care a little about the profession, then I never would have came back to this board. I would have just got on with things without a care. But I do care about teaching and wanted to see if anyone out there had anything useful to say. A few did but 75% reminded me the reason I left in the first place. [​IMG]
    Oh, and sorry to disappoint, or perhaps I just lead you on, but I know after reading all this some of you are itching to reply to make a funny quip about how I said two points but wrote three points above. You see - you people itching to do that are losers - sorry to spoil your thunder but I did it on purpose! Or are you not going to believe me again? hahaha
    Thanks to the proper posters and thank you for being teachers in these difficult times.
    To all the "funny" people - I'm glad you are stuck being teachers.... for life!
    I'm off to earn some cash! Bonus time is coming up in April.
    Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

The irony of a poster who states that others' qualifications "don't match what I have" calling others insecure.
    Now that's funny. On the plus side, I can see a couple of sub levels progress on the spelling front (or they're employing the spell checker now) but not much by way of a cohesive argument. As a persuasive tool "because I say so" and "so ner" don't really cut the mustard.

By the way Theo, you'd better inform TES that you falsified your qualifications ( not that they're anything compared to Claire's obviously) and have been outed by a troll. Shame on you.

7. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

You patronising farm animal.
    There, said it, everyone else I am sure was thinking it.
    With regards to being used for low pay, dependant upon your political thinking and leaning, there is always the argument that everybody is being used by someone higher on up the chain.
    We have all made our choices with the career that we have, and we have to live with those choices. You have left teaching, and provided the reasons you have left. However, there is also an argument that you have chosen the wrong way in which to provide your 'advice' about the education system. This is an online forum, although some people find that it provides advice and discussion, it carries no weight with the policy makers who define what goes on within the education system. If you really felt that strongly about making your opinions known, perhaps a letter to Mr Gove in the first instance would have been more appropriate?
    Thank you for highlighting the inadequacies of the teaching profession. I hope that those of us with the same amount of time in business that you have had within teaching have the same opportunities in which to state our reasons for leaving the private/business sector and in such a manner that will have no impact upon anybody apart from ruffling a few feathers.
    B x

8. no one

no one New commenter

Oh goodness! Post 69 has to be one of the most bizarre and infantile posts I have ever read. Sounds more like a Year 9 pupil than a highly educated and successful business person. Incredibly odd person and possibly unbalanced. Oh well, she's gone now....

9. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I think year 9 is generous. I have heard some of my Y1 pupils give more articulate and reasoned arguments when debating on school council.
    "So ner" is not really an effective persuasive tool. I'd give it a 2c/ 2b - although I can see some progress in terms of the basics, the OP wouldn't have scored a 1b.

10. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Reply to Claire,

You came onto a teachers forum, specifically one for head teachers, with no objective other than to declare your disgruntlement at 'teaching' not valuing you, with some guise of being able to make us all see the error of our ways. I am not sure what response you expected. I am not shocked you were not valued. I suspect if you hadn't left, it wouldn't have been long before you were pushed... If not from the job, then by a colleague.... down some stairs.
    Happy half term holiday everyone....

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

ROTFL
    I've always wanted to use that!
    And I liked the bit about me being jealous of her salary - does Claire have any idea about how much salary a Head earns in a top HMC school, and thus how much Final-Salary pension you get?
    ROTFL again.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Clairely not, Theo.

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're making me laugh again and I'm trying to do some serious work here!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Me too.
    Still, almost half term, holidays await...

15. Hilarious
    and half term [​IMG]
    and I know I've joined this late but I did get an NVQ level 1 years ago in shop floor administration (shelf stacking)
    Beats your firsts and PHD hands down [​IMG]

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

PhD not PHD.
    Can tell you haven't got one.
    *sniffs*
    Best wishes

17. Oh how wonderful! What a great comedy to start the half term [​IMG]
    Claire you belong on the stage my dear, stand up is your "Thing" (What is it with all the words in "Speech marks" by the way? Just asking?).
    Oh, hang on, I'm not sure your 1st in Maths is a "high" (?) enough qualification! I'm afraid they wouldn't have you. Oh dear me, what a greal loss [​IMG]

18. Theo Griff
    You're a snob [​IMG]

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am, I am!
    An intellectual snob.
    *turns and walks away, disconsolate at being found out*