1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Graham

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Roxanne00, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I currently live in South Africa but will be relocating to London in the next two months. I was wondering what the employment situation would be like for me once I have arrived and start looking for a job. I am in my 4th year of studying towards my Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Education. I have been trained in the THRASS program. As I am still in the process of qualifying, I have not held a teaching position, but for every year of study I have done a "teaching practicum" in a school for a month where I was responsible for the class and lessons. I have been rated on these teaching sessions.

Would I be able to be given a job in the teaching/child minding field with my experience/qualifications so far? How easy would it be for me to find employment?

I have a police clearance certificate and I will be coming over on a British Passport. Is there any other documents I would need to have in order to be employed?

Many thank for your time
    Roxanne Groves

2. I currently live in South Africa but will be relocating to London in the next two months. I was wondering what the employment situation would be like for me once I have arrived and start looking for a job. I am in my 4th year of studying towards my Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood Education. I have been trained in the THRASS program. As I am still in the process of qualifying, I have not held a teaching position, but for every year of study I have done a "teaching practicum" in a school for a month where I was responsible for the class and lessons. I have been rated on these teaching sessions.

Would I be able to be given a job in the teaching/child minding field with my experience/qualifications so far? How easy would it be for me to find employment?

I have a police clearance certificate and I will be coming over on a British Passport. Is there any other documents I would need to have in order to be employed?

Many thank for your time
    Roxanne Groves

3. A good way of getting an indication of the employment opportunities is to look at websites such as the TES (www.tes.co.uk), Guardian Online (www.jobs.guardian.co.uk) and the Independent Online (www.independent.co.uk). The following page of the TDA website contains a great deal of useful information that may help you find suitable teaching positions:
    www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/faqs/general/looking-for-a-job
    To work as a teacher in England or Wales, you will need qualified teacher status (QTS), although you can take up a temporary position as an unqualified teacher for up to four years based on your overseas qualification. You can use this time to achieve QTS through the overseas trained teacher programme (OTT) programme.
    As well as your teaching qualification, you will need to have the equivalent of a British bachelor's degree to apply for ITT courses. For secondary teaching you also need general certificates of secondary education (GCSEs) at grade C or above or equivalent qualifications in mathematics and English. If you wish to teach at primary level, a GCSE at grade C or above or an equivalent qualification in a science subject is also required.
    You would need to confirm that the qualifications you gained in South Africa meet the above requirements. You can do this by forwarding copies of your certificates to the National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) (www.naric.org.uk).
    You can find general information about the OTTP and other routes into teaching via the following page of the TDA website:
    www.tda.gov.uk/recruit/thetrainingprocess/typesofcourse.aspx
    Good luck with your application and I hope you enjoy teaching in England.
    Graham Holley