1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Graham

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by robertmunro, Jan 14, 2011.

1. I am currently in my third year of study at Kent on course to graduate with a 2:1 in History and Politics. I have a conditional offer from Manchester to study for an MA in Politics, starting in September 2011. I currently intend to complete a PGCE (Secondary) Social Science at Keele the following year, with the aim of teaching in either citizenship, sociology or politics.

Having searched through all the current job vacancies across the UK, I found that vacancies in citizenship and social sciences are in short supply, whilst there appear to be a sizable amount of vacancies in history. I had thought about teaching history instead and my question is would it be fine to opt for a PGCE Secondary in History despite having taken my masters degree in politics. Would this make me less employable in any way?

2. I am currently in my third year of study at Kent on course to graduate with a 2:1 in History and Politics. I have a conditional offer from Manchester to study for an MA in Politics, starting in September 2011. I currently intend to complete a PGCE (Secondary) Social Science at Keele the following year, with the aim of teaching in either citizenship, sociology or politics.

Having searched through all the current job vacancies across the UK, I found that vacancies in citizenship and social sciences are in short supply, whilst there appear to be a sizable amount of vacancies in history. I had thought about teaching history instead and my question is would it be fine to opt for a PGCE Secondary in History despite having taken my masters degree in politics. Would this make me less employable in any way?

3. Firstly, may I congratulate you on the conditional offer of a place on a Master's in Politics course in Manchester.
    When you apply for a PGCE the course provider will assess your suitability based on you having the necessary GCSE's, an appropriate degree, and evidence of recent classroom experience. Additional qualifications such as Master's degrees may also be taken into consideration as indicating your academic credentials, or to show that you have furthered your knowledge in a particular subject.
    Additional qualifications would not be considered detrimental by course providers, regardless of whether the subject undertaken differs from the one you wish to teach. This would also be the case with prospective employers, many of whom would consider having a postgraduate qualification in another subject to be a positive thing, and a sign of the wider depth of your knowledge.
    Good luck with the remainder of your History and Politics degree, and I hope that you go on to have an enjoyable teaching career.
    Graham Holley