1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Graham - worth applying this year?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by clarkeycat, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hi Graham
    I'm really keen to apply for a PGCE Geography course but I'm worried I've left it too late for entry this year? I notice on the GTTP website that my top choice of course, Sheffield Uni, has already closed to applicants! If I did go ahead and apply for the 2 other courses ( I understand that you can apply until late June) I'm interested in and didn't get a place, is it OK to apply again come September for 2012 entry? do course providers look favourably on re-applicants? presuming they will be looking for more experience/commitment...
    Also I have another query.. I have a weeks worth of work experience coming up in a local school in two weeks time which I am really looking forward to. Is this enough experience? I am looking for a carreer change (i'm an envrionmental consultant, so work in a 'relevant' area to geography) and therefore work full time. I have read anything from 5 days to 20 days experience is required - 20 days just isn't possible if I work full time!
    I hate the thought of having to wait another year to apply, but wonder if I would be better off just leaving it for this year. What do you think?

Many thanks

2. Hi Graham
    I'm really keen to apply for a PGCE Geography course but I'm worried I've left it too late for entry this year? I notice on the GTTP website that my top choice of course, Sheffield Uni, has already closed to applicants! If I did go ahead and apply for the 2 other courses ( I understand that you can apply until late June) I'm interested in and didn't get a place, is it OK to apply again come September for 2012 entry? do course providers look favourably on re-applicants? presuming they will be looking for more experience/commitment...
    Also I have another query.. I have a weeks worth of work experience coming up in a local school in two weeks time which I am really looking forward to. Is this enough experience? I am looking for a carreer change (i'm an envrionmental consultant, so work in a 'relevant' area to geography) and therefore work full time. I have read anything from 5 days to 20 days experience is required - 20 days just isn't possible if I work full time!
    I hate the thought of having to wait another year to apply, but wonder if I would be better off just leaving it for this year. What do you think?

Many thanks

3. I am pleased to hear that you have decided to train as a geography teacher. Although some universities may have filled all geography PGCE places, you are correct in thinking that the GTTR (www.gttr.ac.uk) deadline for secondary applications is 30 June. I would not recommend delaying application but if you were unable to secure a place this year, there is absolutely nothing to prevent you from applying again next year.
    It is fantastic that you have already arranged to gain some experience in schools. Course providers require you to have gained classroom experience but they will tend to have differing specific expectations. Therefore, I would suggest contacting prospective providers for further.
    I hope this helps and wish you luck.
    Graham Holley