1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Graham: Various routes to QTS - PGCE, MA/MEd, SCITT?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by mathy3890, Jan 5, 2011.

1. I'm a 3rd year Hispanic Studies and Politics student on my Erasmus year, where I'm doing a British Council teaching placement in a primary school in Spain.
    I've been looking into various postgraduate options and ways to get qualified teachers status, but I'm not sure which would be the best for me. I have experience in teaching primary schools, and enjoy teaching younger year, so I've been looking into Primary MFL courses. However, I wouldn't like to discount teaching Spanish in secondary entirely, so I'm not entirely sure which PGCE to choose, if I choose the PGCE route.
    I also have some interest in studying psychology within education and special needs education, which, through looking at various masters course descriptions, I could pursue at Masters level. The module options in some Masters courses that I have looked into have appealed to me more than the course outlines of PGCE courses - would doing a Masters and then SCITT be a viable option? Are there any drawbacks/problems/disadvantages in getting QTS this way?
    Since I have dual nationality (British Canadian), I would like to be able to teach either here or in Canada in the future. Is there a certain route to QTS that would definitely be internationally recognised?
    Sorry, there are a lot of questions here! but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. I'm a 3rd year Hispanic Studies and Politics student on my Erasmus year, where I'm doing a British Council teaching placement in a primary school in Spain.
    I've been looking into various postgraduate options and ways to get qualified teachers status, but I'm not sure which would be the best for me. I have experience in teaching primary schools, and enjoy teaching younger year, so I've been looking into Primary MFL courses. However, I wouldn't like to discount teaching Spanish in secondary entirely, so I'm not entirely sure which PGCE to choose, if I choose the PGCE route.
    I also have some interest in studying psychology within education and special needs education, which, through looking at various masters course descriptions, I could pursue at Masters level. The module options in some Masters courses that I have looked into have appealed to me more than the course outlines of PGCE courses - would doing a Masters and then SCITT be a viable option? Are there any drawbacks/problems/disadvantages in getting QTS this way?
    Since I have dual nationality (British Canadian), I would like to be able to teach either here or in Canada in the future. Is there a certain route to QTS that would definitely be internationally recognised?
    Sorry, there are a lot of questions here! but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

3. lol55

lol55 New commenter

Hey mathy
    I can't help you on all those questions but I would say this.
    I always thought that when I went into teaching it would be primary with MFL; the majority of my work experience had been in primary and I always enjoyed working with this age. But after my British Council experience teaching in France and various work with teenagers, I realised it was secondary aged students who I really enjoyed interacting with and could see myself teaching. The only way I could confirm this was spending time in secondary schools in England and doing as much observation as possible. It seems to me, you haven't had much experience in secondary schools? I would definately suggest getting some observation experience in. Once you have spent time in both primary and secondary, I think you realise where you see yourself teaching. Plus, should you apply for a PGCE they will expect you to have thought seriously about your decision as to secondary or primary, and if you have had experience in both this will definately help your case.
    Sorry I am not more help.
    As a fellow language lover, starting her journey into teaching, I will be interested to see which course you decide on!
    Good luck.