1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Graham, Thinking about become a Secondary Teacher

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by gprobertson, Feb 25, 2011.

1. I currently have a HND in Geography from Dundee University. I had to leave university early due to personal circumstances. I am aspiring to become a teacher in Geography. I was just wondering what option I might have to fufill my career.
    I was wondering if there are any courses which I can gain direct entry to third year (degree level) geography with my HND. I have noticed most universities only offer direct entry to 3rd year.
    I also was looking up courses at the open university but no Geography courses are listed, however there is an Environmental course but I am unsure if this would be adequte degree credit to get into a PGDE in teaching Secondary Geography.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Grant

2. I currently have a HND in Geography from Dundee University. I had to leave university early due to personal circumstances. I am aspiring to become a teacher in Geography. I was just wondering what option I might have to fufill my career.
    I was wondering if there are any courses which I can gain direct entry to third year (degree level) geography with my HND. I have noticed most universities only offer direct entry to 3rd year.
    I also was looking up courses at the open university but no Geography courses are listed, however there is an Environmental course but I am unsure if this would be adequte degree credit to get into a PGDE in teaching Secondary Geography.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Grant

3. Hi Grant

Third year entry to any university is the degree year so I would recommend you contact your local universities and request information. The majority of universities will now accept articulation into 2nd or 3rd year.

Also if you are unsure of specific pre-requisites for PGDE contact the university of your choice and ask. I am applying for entry into Biology teaching for 2012 and emailed Strathclyde for advice and the level/amount of info I received was fantastic.... very helpful indeed (they also have a great amount of resources on their website). Also check out the GTTR website for individual entry requirements and questions about Environmental.

Good luck :)