1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Graham - terrified of interview

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by theweeez, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Dear Graham,

I've applied for the PGCE to start training in September but having read some of the posts about interviews I'm very much doubting that I will make it through. I have years of school experience as a TA and have worked abroad in an international school - i am confident in my abilities and that this is the right career path for me. I just cannot cope with making presentations! It's a real sticking point for me - I have intense anxiety and panic attacks in situations such as that - much more than the usual nerves and I doubt that the panel would appreciate this. I would hate to think that my career prospects would be damaged by something so silly. What other options do I have? Are interviews held during clearing just as intense?
    Thanks for any advice,
    Louise

2. Dear Graham,

I've applied for the PGCE to start training in September but having read some of the posts about interviews I'm very much doubting that I will make it through. I have years of school experience as a TA and have worked abroad in an international school - i am confident in my abilities and that this is the right career path for me. I just cannot cope with making presentations! It's a real sticking point for me - I have intense anxiety and panic attacks in situations such as that - much more than the usual nerves and I doubt that the panel would appreciate this. I would hate to think that my career prospects would be damaged by something so silly. What other options do I have? Are interviews held during clearing just as intense?
    Thanks for any advice,
    Louise

3. The best piece of advice someone gave me is that the presentation is not about you; it's about what the people you're presenting to need. In other words, you're there to impart information to your audience, that's your job, so your focus needs to be on their needs rather than on you. If you can de-focus from yourself and re-focus on the information you're trying to convey the idea is that you will move more naturally, breathe more naturally, not get tongue-tied and all that.
    I hope that helps a little.

4. I felt the same many years ago. I got a place the secret is:
    -prepare fully, read on the tes, get on Amazon or in your library and read some new books on teaching, watch some teachers tv about how to teach outstanding lessons, the first step to doing well is to think: well I've prepared so well, that I shouldn't feel fearful do this and it will help. If you read around you will have lots of ideas and look keen....
    Secondly, practice . Ask a friend to listen and give you feed back. Ask them to ask you the classic questions about why you want to teach, assessment and how you will act in the classroom.
    Wear something that makes you feel confident and professional.
    Remember the interviewers want to get the best out of you. Give it some forethought and prepare really well, on the day be yourself, take a breathe, and try your best. That is all you can do. You will come across fine - remember teaching can be a little like acting, you have to act confident even if you are quaking inside.[​IMG]Good Luck.