1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Graham- Registered Teacher Program

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by John310, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Hi Graham,

I'm interested in becoming a teacher, ideally at primary level. With my qualifications I believe the Registered Teacher Program is the best route for me to take. However, there doesn't seem to be much information available as there is on more traditional routes to NQT.

From what I can gather I would need to find a school willing to employ me as an unqualified teacher. I presume that schools don't advertise for unqualified teachers, so is it a case of sending away letters explaining my situation and hoping I get an interview?

Any other information on the RTP much appreciated.

Thank you for any possible help.

John.

2. Hi Graham,

I'm interested in becoming a teacher, ideally at primary level. With my qualifications I believe the Registered Teacher Program is the best route for me to take. However, there doesn't seem to be much information available as there is on more traditional routes to NQT.

From what I can gather I would need to find a school willing to employ me as an unqualified teacher. I presume that schools don't advertise for unqualified teachers, so is it a case of sending away letters explaining my situation and hoping I get an interview?

Any other information on the RTP much appreciated.

Thank you for any possible help.

John.

3. Are you already studying for your degree? You will need to have a certain number of credits before you can start the RTP and be aware that there are very few places nationwide on this programme. Schools can also be very difficult to find due to the current financial situation.

4. I'm not currently studying for a degree, but do believe I have the required number of credits, although I would like further information relating to this.

5. Does anyone had anymore information on the RTP?

Much appreciated.

Thank you.

6. BUMP!!

7. To apply for the RTP, you must have completed the equivalent of two years of higher education, which is worth 240 credit accumulation and transfer scheme points. For secondary teaching you also need GCSEs at grade C or above or equivalent qualifications in English and mathematics. For primary teaching, a GCSE at grade C or above or an equivalent qualification in a science subject is also required. RTP trainees spend up to two years working and training as a teacher while completing their HE studies to degree level.
    I suggest that you contact employment-based initial teacher training providers that accept RTP applications, who will be able to advise you about their application process. You can find contact details for EBITT providers via the TDA website:
    www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/gtp/Search
    You are correct in thinking that you will need to contact schools about opportunities for working as an unqualified teacher. The RTP is considered most suitable for people with a good deal of ongoing school experience. You could consider working firstly in a classroom support role which may help you build a good working relationship with a local school.
    The RTP can be a competitive route into teaching, as there are fewer places nationwide than other ITT courses. You could also consider completing your studies to degree level before undertaking a postgraduate ITT course to achieve qualified teacher status.
    I hope this helps.
    Graham Holley