1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Graham, PGCE Health and Social Care advice

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Gian, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Hello! I have been working as a TA for over 10 years and have completed a degree aimed at teaching assistants. However, my career has not particularly developed during this time therefore I have decided to do a PGCE, hopefully to teach Health and Social Care in Secondary schools. I have been assisting with the teaching of the Diploma in Health& Social Care at the secondary school where I work to gain experience but am having difficulties in finding a relevant PGCE subject course within travelling distance from home (I live in Lancashire) - I am hoping to do a part time course whilst working or, failing that, a distance learning course.
    The teacher I have been working with did her PGCE at a local college which would be ideal however, the only PGCEs on offer are in the lifelong learning sector and although she is employed as a secondary teacher she is only paid the same amount as me, a level 3 teaching assistant, as she does not have QTS.
    At the moment I feel unable to progress with my career and wonder whether you could advise me?
    Do you know of any distance learning courses for Health and Social Care PGCEs? I have searched the internet with no luck.
    Additionally, do you know whether there is a way of completing a PGCE in the lifelong learning sector and then converting it into QTS?
    Thanking you, in anticipation

2. Hello! I have been working as a TA for over 10 years and have completed a degree aimed at teaching assistants. However, my career has not particularly developed during this time therefore I have decided to do a PGCE, hopefully to teach Health and Social Care in Secondary schools. I have been assisting with the teaching of the Diploma in Health& Social Care at the secondary school where I work to gain experience but am having difficulties in finding a relevant PGCE subject course within travelling distance from home (I live in Lancashire) - I am hoping to do a part time course whilst working or, failing that, a distance learning course.
    The teacher I have been working with did her PGCE at a local college which would be ideal however, the only PGCEs on offer are in the lifelong learning sector and although she is employed as a secondary teacher she is only paid the same amount as me, a level 3 teaching assistant, as she does not have QTS.
    At the moment I feel unable to progress with my career and wonder whether you could advise me?
    Do you know of any distance learning courses for Health and Social Care PGCEs? I have searched the internet with no luck.
    Additionally, do you know whether there is a way of completing a PGCE in the lifelong learning sector and then converting it into QTS?
    Thanking you, in anticipation

3. The experience you have gained working as a teaching assistant will greatly strengthen any application you make to initial teacher training.
    Some flexible PGCEs do offer a distance learning programme but the health and social care courses on the GTTR website do not currently offer this option. As you are already working within a school, you may wish to consider the graduate teacher programme which is an employment-based route to gaining QTS. You would initially need to ask your school to support your application and employ you as an unqualified teacher. You would then need to apply to an employment-based training provider in your area. You can search for providers via the TDA website www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/gtp/Search.aspx.
    There are no conversion courses should you decide to complete a PGCE in the lifelong sector. You would need to follow the same routes, for example PGCE or GTP to gain QTS but experience and qualifications may be taken into account when devising the length of the course.
    Good luck with your application.
    Graham Holley

4. Dear Graham
    Thank you so much for your reply explaining my options, especially clearing up the issue regarding a conversion course and your advice for the graduate teacher programme which I will definatetly look into.
    Kind regards and thank you once again