1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Graham - NQT job prospects?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Lu280, Feb 5, 2011.

1. I'm waiting to hear if my conditional place at Bath Spa is confirmed and am so confused about whether to accept it I do get it. I'm currently working as a lawyer which I hate but at least it's stable job. I have a 2 year old daughter and am the main wage earner at the moment. We could cope with me not earning for a year but I don't know what we'd do if I didn't get an NQT position. It seems reckless to quit a job to retrain and then possibly end up unemployed.

Any advice about job prospects in the next few years?

Thank you

2. I'm waiting to hear if my conditional place at Bath Spa is confirmed and am so confused about whether to accept it I do get it. I'm currently working as a lawyer which I hate but at least it's stable job. I have a 2 year old daughter and am the main wage earner at the moment. We could cope with me not earning for a year but I don't know what we'd do if I didn't get an NQT position. It seems reckless to quit a job to retrain and then possibly end up unemployed.

Any advice about job prospects in the next few years?

Thank you

3. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

It depends what subject your going to teach - nqts in some humanities subjects such as history, RE and citizenship will have an incredibly tough time finding their position over the next few years, however if you plan to go down the core subject route you will have a better chance. Also depends on the area you live, how many schools are there around you? Are you willing to relocate for the job?
    You say your currently a lawyer, an NQT salary would be a significant pay cut from what you are earning just now...
    It really depends how much you want to teach, and how much is at stake...

4. I'm sorry, I should have said it was primary I was hoping to teach which I know is very comptetitive. I do very much want to teach but also have to think practically with putting food on the table and paying the rent etc. We could move a reasonable distance if something came up depending on where my husband hopefully finds work.

You'd be quite surprised about lawyer salaries these days, they're not what they used to be in alot of cases!

5. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

oh sorry I don't know why I assumed you were secondary - i guess i think just because im training for secondary then everyone must be [​IMG]
    i'm afraid i don't hav much advice for primary school, but all i can say is that i have loved every second of my training and can't wait to start my career properly, so can't recommend getting into teaching enough :) but i also don't have children to think of so understand it must be a very big step, could you do your training part-time?

6. I'm 31 now so really feel I don't have time to waste and need to get on with it! I've asked my provider for data on how many previous students are employed now etc but am still waiting for a reply.

7. Places available on initial teacher training courses are designed to reflect the anticipated number of employment opportunities for the phase or subject concerned.
    The number of available posts will differ depending on your location. You can try and get a feel for the number of opportunities in your area by checking your local authority's website, the press and other places where teaching posts are advertised.
    If you can be flexible about the location that you would prefer to work in then more opportunities will be available to you. This will of course depend upon your personal situation.
    If you are unable to find a permanent job straight away, you can undertake short-term supply work for a maximum period of 16 months after which you will need to find a suitable post in which to begin your NQT year.
    I hope this helps and wish you luck.
    Graham Holley