1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Graham...Just rejected from PGCE course after interview...

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by missteach45, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Dear Graham,

I just found out tonight I was unsuccessful at gaining a place on a PGCE course I had an interview for 3 weeks ago. Totally gutted and not really sure what to do now, I have passed my application on but don't know if primary teaching is the route I want to go down now as I had my heart set on one university and one city to do my pgce in and with grant cuts I don't think I can afford it and with the uncertainty of jobs at the end it's left me not knowing what to do next.
    I'm currently undertaking an NVQ level 3 supporting teaching and learning in schools city and guilds qualification, and will complete it in June 2011. If I did not pursue a primary PGCE this year, which with the grant cuts I don't know if I could afford anyway, is there any other teaching relating routes I can take, perhaps using this qualification, and not feeling like I have just wasted a year trying to gain experience. I've been looking into maybe working in SEN but would I be able to progress far with only having a NVQ level 3?? I've heard of GTP opinions but according to some I looked at earlier I've missed the application deadline, and as I live in Northern Ireland I would find it hard to find a school to sponsor me.
    Basically I don't really want to work as a classroom assistant for the rest of my life and want to progress as far as I can get a higher paid job to provide for my family, I'm just not sure what options and routes are available to me now. I have a BA(hons) degree in business and economics at 2:2 level.
    Any info would be appreciated! thanks!

2. Dear Graham,

I just found out tonight I was unsuccessful at gaining a place on a PGCE course I had an interview for 3 weeks ago. Totally gutted and not really sure what to do now, I have passed my application on but don't know if primary teaching is the route I want to go down now as I had my heart set on one university and one city to do my pgce in and with grant cuts I don't think I can afford it and with the uncertainty of jobs at the end it's left me not knowing what to do next.
    I'm currently undertaking an NVQ level 3 supporting teaching and learning in schools city and guilds qualification, and will complete it in June 2011. If I did not pursue a primary PGCE this year, which with the grant cuts I don't know if I could afford anyway, is there any other teaching relating routes I can take, perhaps using this qualification, and not feeling like I have just wasted a year trying to gain experience. I've been looking into maybe working in SEN but would I be able to progress far with only having a NVQ level 3?? I've heard of GTP opinions but according to some I looked at earlier I've missed the application deadline, and as I live in Northern Ireland I would find it hard to find a school to sponsor me.
    Basically I don't really want to work as a classroom assistant for the rest of my life and want to progress as far as I can get a higher paid job to provide for my family, I'm just not sure what options and routes are available to me now. I have a BA(hons) degree in business and economics at 2:2 level.
    Any info would be appreciated! thanks!

3. I am sorry to hear that application to your preferred provider has been unsuccessful. Primary teaching can be very competitive and you should not feel unduly discouraged. I would suggest that you ask for feedback as this may help you to prepare for subsequent applications or interviews.
    I appreciate that you were most enthusiastic about your first choice PGCE provider. However, now that your application has now been forwarded I would still encourage you to wait and consider your other choice.
    Financial support may still be available. Information about accessing funding is available via the Directgov website (www.direct.gov.uk).
    If you have experience in a classroom support role you could also consider the GTP. Application deadlines are set by training providers and you can locate providers via the TDA website (www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/gtp/Search). You would need to find a school in England willing to employ you as an unqualified teacher for the duration of the programme. Training providers may be able to advise how it is best for you to approach this.
    I do hope that you continue to pursue a career as a teacher and I hope this helps.
    Graham Holley