1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Graham (GTP/PGCE??)

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by catherinerobson, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Dear Graham,
    I have been offered a PGCE and a GTP. Originally I wanted to do the PGCE, however I have found out that the government has cut the £4,000 bursary which I would have used to cover the fees. Im now not sure whether to do the PGCE where I will be 'out of pocket', or the GTP where I will get paid a wage for the year? Also, I may want to travel in the future and know that the GTP isnt recognised abroad...

Many Thanks

Catherine

2. Dear Graham,
    I have been offered a PGCE and a GTP. Originally I wanted to do the PGCE, however I have found out that the government has cut the £4,000 bursary which I would have used to cover the fees. Im now not sure whether to do the PGCE where I will be 'out of pocket', or the GTP where I will get paid a wage for the year? Also, I may want to travel in the future and know that the GTP isnt recognised abroad...

Many Thanks

Catherine

3. Congratulations on being offered places on both the PGCE and the GTP. You are correct in acknowledging that the GTP is not always recognised abroad. Both the GTP and the PGCE routes lead to QTS whereas the PGCE is a qualification in its own right. Many overseas countries recognise the PGCE as a suitable qualification for teaching in their country.

Although the bursary for primary has been withdrawn for this academic year, financial assistance through grants and loans is still available through Student Finance England. Visit www.direct.gov.uk/studentfinance for more information about applying for finance.
    Should you be considering your career in the long-term, the PGCE would better suit your future needs.
    I hope you enjoy your course and wish you success whichever route you take.
    Graham Holley