1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Graham, Degree option for primary teaching???

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by zsiddiqui123, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi
    i am thinking of doing BA(Hons) in childhood and youth studies with open
    university as i am currently lokking after my to kids at home...i wanted to know would this be a good degree to help me apply for primary
    pgce? would they accept this degree??

2. Hi
    i am thinking of doing BA(Hons) in childhood and youth studies with open
    university as i am currently lokking after my to kids at home...i wanted to know would this be a good degree to help me apply for primary
    pgce? would they accept this degree??

3. When you apply for a primary PGCE, the course provider will look for you to demonstrate a sound basic knowledge of all the subjects in the curriculum for key stages 1 and 2. Have a look at the national curriculum in order to see how your studies will relate to the subjects:
    http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk
    The modules you will study do seem to have relevance to a career in education but you could contact the careers advisory service of the Open University in order to clarify the opportunities related to your subject choice (www.open.ac.uk/careers).
    While you are studying, you would greatly benefit from gaining some classroom experience in primary schools in your area. Contact local primary schools to see if they will allow you to spend some time observing in their school.
    I hope you enjoy your course and wish you success in your teaching career.
    Graham Holley