1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Graham...applying for pgce but unsure of my qualifications ,plz help

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by hummi7883, Feb 18, 2011.

1. hummi7883

hummi7883 New commenter

Dear Graham,
    Can I please be helped as i have been trying to get an answer for this in quite a few forums..... m new here n jus trying to find my way on the website,i am quite stressed out at the moment and cant reeally decide what to do next.
    I am applying for secondary PGCE in ICT this year...but i have a few questions to b answered....i have searched al on the internet but dint seem to find the right answer...
    I have overseas qualification....M.Sc(computer's )standard british equivalent(as compared by naric)
    then i also have a bachelor's (ordinary in computer's)
    i have GCSE equivalents in maths(a*-c)
    i have back home teaching experience of 2 years...
    i have some NVQ's from here...
    i have applied to a number of schools for observations and have them booked for march.
    Then i am starting youth club work soon,i have some interviews confirmed too voluntary work..
    [​IMG] have started my application but not very sure if i shud send it as i have still not gained any teaching experience..?
    what do i do...
    i think i am already late,if i mention that i have observations booked...would it weigh....
    not too sure about my decision of holding back my aplication...
    what do u think...how much chance do i stand..of success...
    PS: sorry fr my spellings...quite in a hurry...
    please help!!!

2. hummi7883

hummi7883 New commenter

Dear Graham,
    Can I please be helped as i have been trying to get an answer for this in quite a few forums..... m new here n jus trying to find my way on the website,i am quite stressed out at the moment and cant reeally decide what to do next.
    I am applying for secondary PGCE in ICT this year...but i have a few questions to b answered....i have searched al on the internet but dint seem to find the right answer...
    I have overseas qualification....M.Sc(computer's )standard british equivalent(as compared by naric)
    then i also have a bachelor's (ordinary in computer's)
    i have GCSE equivalents in maths(a*-c)
    i have back home teaching experience of 2 years...
    i have some NVQ's from here...
    i have applied to a number of schools for observations and have them booked for march.
    Then i am starting youth club work soon,i have some interviews confirmed too voluntary work..
    [​IMG] have started my application but not very sure if i shud send it as i have still not gained any teaching experience..?
    what do i do...
    i think i am already late,if i mention that i have observations booked...would it weigh....
    not too sure about my decision of holding back my aplication...
    what do u think...how much chance do i stand..of success...
    PS: sorry fr my spellings...quite in a hurry...
    please help!!!

3. It is perfectly acceptable to apply for a PGCE in ICT prior to gaining classroom observation experience as long as you make it clear in your application that you have arrangements already in place.
    As you are no doubt aware, classroom experience is an important part of an application to an initial teacher training (ITT) course. However, course providers are aware of the difficulties in finding schools willing to allow applicants the opportunity to observe classes, as well as the problems with being able to arrange the time to do this.
    With that in mind, course providers will assess your application as a whole, taking into consideration the personal statement and qualifications, as well as the type and extent of the classroom experience you have arranged to undertake.
    If you are granted an interview you should have enough time to complete your classroom observations, as well as gaining a good amount of voluntary experience, prior to the interview date.
    By the time of your interview you would be expected to have gained the experience as stated in your application. You may be asked to provide evidence of the classroom experience gained, and will usually be expected to talk in detail about this experience during your interview.
    As you already have arrangements in place, you should not hesitate in applying for a PGCE in ICT. I wish you all the best in this, and hope that your application is successful.
    Graham Holley