1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Graham, 30 year old male training query

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by norry, Feb 6, 2011.

1. I am hoping to train to be a primary school teacher in September but I am finding it difficult and need some advice about my next step.
    I trained to be a theatre performer but I have been interested in teaching for many years and throughout University I have taught drama and singing privately. After University I have been working as an actor/workshop facilitator which involved primary school tours which included Science, Mathematics and Anti-Bulliying. It was through this work I realised my passion for teaching and presently I am working as a private music teacher and a workshop actor with a Mathematics tour.
    I applied to GTTR before 1st December deadline and have recently had both my primary teaching courses marked as unsuccesful with no reason. I have asked for feedback but I have to recieved a reply as of yet.
    At University I received only a 2:2 but since it was 8 years since I have left University, I thought as I am 30 years old, my "experience" would benefit for more? Was I wrong?
    Could my degree have let me down? Is there anything I can do about this and any advice on what the next step could be?

Norry Leonard

2. I am hoping to train to be a primary school teacher in September but I am finding it difficult and need some advice about my next step.
    I trained to be a theatre performer but I have been interested in teaching for many years and throughout University I have taught drama and singing privately. After University I have been working as an actor/workshop facilitator which involved primary school tours which included Science, Mathematics and Anti-Bulliying. It was through this work I realised my passion for teaching and presently I am working as a private music teacher and a workshop actor with a Mathematics tour.
    I applied to GTTR before 1st December deadline and have recently had both my primary teaching courses marked as unsuccesful with no reason. I have asked for feedback but I have to recieved a reply as of yet.
    At University I received only a 2:2 but since it was 8 years since I have left University, I thought as I am 30 years old, my "experience" would benefit for more? Was I wrong?
    Could my degree have let me down? Is there anything I can do about this and any advice on what the next step could be?

Norry Leonard

3. How long ago did you asked for feedback from the Universities you applied for? Most Universities should be able to give you some feedback. What did it say on the Universities entry requirements on their website? - because the ones that I've looked at do mainly state you need a 2:1 but they may still consider you if you have a 2:2.
    Also you mention some (great) work in primary schools for specific areas of learning - but have you done work experience/ observational experience in like a teaching assistant type role? Which would cover the rest of the school system/how it operates, daily routine, lessons...
    Good luck to you. Sorry if I've written stuff which you already know.

4. I am sorry to hear that your initial applications have been unsuccessful. Primary teaching can be highly competitive and you should not feel unduly discouraged.
    It is important that you gain feedback as to why your applications were not accepted as this will help you prepare future applications. Teacher training providers tend to set their own requirements with regard to the degree grade they would prefer you to have received. I suggest that you discuss this with the course providers you have applied to and see whether this was a factor in their decision.
    You may also like to use the reporting suite on the TDA website (www.tda.gov.uk/training-provider/itt/data-surveys/performance-profiles). This tool allows you to view statistics for individual course providers including the qualifications trainees held on entry to their courses.
    The experience you have gained in the sector is advantageous and I do hope that you continue to pursue a career in teaching.
    I hope this helps

Graham Holley